New Bandsaw

jim vojcek

I'm looking for a new bandsaw.  I know several feel the best thing to do is purchase a used machine and repair it. However, I would like to start with a good new unit.  Laguna looks to be a good bandsaw.  I have heard their customer service is verv bad!  Is Grizzly or any other brand of good quality?  I have a small Inca, but need something larger. 

Jim Vojcek

Jim,

I do not think it is a good idea to respond to the site regarding individual customer service experiences, but I have some with both Lagunda and Grizzley that I will gladly share off line.  I am told thatit can lead to legal consequences for the organization, and I would not want that.

Karl

[email protected]

Jim, Felder/Hammer machinery is top of the line in all respects. They have a location right off Rt.9 in New Castle,Delaware. The staff is great. I am a very satisfied customer with no other interest in the company. Good Luck/Ed

I'm very happy with my Jet. Mine is from the 80's though when they still used blue paint. But I know people with newer ones and they are happy. I also know a few people with Bridgewood machines and they are also very happy with them.

The one thing everyone I know who has a bandsaw agrees on is that they wish they had bought a larger one. Mine is 20" and is to small sometimes. I also know quite a few people (myself included) who bought a 14" and later upgraded to a 16"+ machine. So my suggestion would be to buy and 18" or 20" first, that way you won't have to upgrade.

One thing to look for that people often forget about is the mass of the wheels. This aids alot in keeping a nice smooth cut. the wheels on my saw weigh 125lbs each. And I have never had a problem with stalling, and never have a problem with vibration or slowing.

Are you sure your bandsaw wheels weigh 125 pounds each?
I judge bandsaws on rigidity of the frame, quality of the blade guides and ease of adjustment.
Good bandsaws typically have the bearings for the wheels further apart, you can see this clearly on the axle for the top wheel.

Hi,

I just purchased a new Laguna 24" and I am very happy (if not simply amazed) with it. It replaces a smaller Laguna bandsaw that I've been using and finally outgrew. In the past, I have had both excellent and slow/inattentive service from Laguna, but have always managed to get what I need. SInce I purchased my second saw from them, I guess any negative experiences I have had must not be too terrible.

I spent significant effort researching the larger bandsaws (18" and larger) this past summer. I also travelled to the AWFS show and carefully inspected all the bandsaws I could find. I looked very seriously at the Felder, and decided against it. The new Powermatic 18 and the Laguna Heavy Duty saws appeared to be the best, but both are on the pricey side. I would be happy to share my impressions/notes with you if you are interested. Just send me an EMail.

JB

Yes I'm sure the wheels weigh 125 pounds. I have the original recipt from when it was purchased. It has 2 upgrades one says 250lb wheel. The other says 2 Speed motor. I assume the 250lb wheel means 125 a piece. They are solid cast (except for 4 small cut outs) and are 1/2" thick at their thinest, and when I had the one off it sure seemed like it weighed 100 + lbs.

When it starts it starts slowly, then once it's moving you can hear the motor noise change (like a switch was thrown) and the blade visibly speeds up. takes about 30 seconds for it to get up to speed.

I can also put a 3" blade on it. But I've never used anything wider than a 1 1/2". 

The back is 1/4" walled square tube, and most of the rest is 1/4" plate steel. even the covers are 1/8" steel. A real nice machine all around. It's alot different than the current line of Jets, and when it was bought cost almost 4k. and that was in 1984.

Back