Muntin profile on Eastern Shore VA Corner Cabinet circa 1745?

Bob Compton

On the glass door for the corner cabinet, I am trying to establish the position of the glass toward the front of the mutton.
From my pictures, it appears the glass sits just below the ovolo with a small amount of wood profile before the glass.
What is the dado size for the glass? If the Mutton is 1" square, what is the proper dimension for the dado? How close does it extend to the ovolo?
Hopefull my explanation makes sense?

The depth of the glazing rabbet depends on the effective depth of the molded portion and the shoulder, called the fillet, through which the mortises for the muntins are cut.  The fillet should be the same width as the mortise chisel you use to cut the joinery.  So, effectively, the depth of the rabbet is the leftover depth that the profile and the fillet do not use up.  You really don't want it much less than 1/4", however, if you are going to use 1/8" glass.  

If you have trouble, feel free to contact me.  I make sash windows and other wood products entirely by hand for a living.

Zach Dillinger
www.theeatoncountyjoinery.com

Hi Zach

I would like to take you up on your offer. Since I also live in Michigan, how about a visit to your place.
Bob Compton
[email protected]

btw -- Our Chapter meeting is next weekend (30th & 1st), how about coming? -- I am activitely on my cabinet so I would like to chat prior to that if good for you.

Back