mixing wax with shellac powder

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can add shellac powder with beeswax or any other kind of wax and use it to fill the grain?

I've been trying to fill grain using Don Williams suggestion of using beeswax with his Pollisor but I want to add a little color so have tried mixing shellac powder but they don't blend or "melt" together. I have had more success mixing the shellac using a commercial wax which contains beeswax and Carnuaba wax. I have ordered some shellac wax hoping it will mix with the powder especially if I heat it. Yes, I've tried contacting Don but think he is real involved with getting his "Cabin" up  and running.

Hi Terry
  I have seen Don fill pores with wax before but not wax  mixed with shellac. Is this a mixture you came up with or have you seen Don do this? I'm wondering if I missed something.  One thing I have learned in Don's class rooms is that you don't ask why?, you ask how?
Randy

I haven't seen Don use it but he has indicated it can be done. I just don't know how and have been experimenting with limited success. I need to fill the grain of mahogany and beeswax doesn't add color. I don't want to use any other type of stain or change the color chemically like potassium dicromate. I think he must be down in Georgia playing with a workbench!

Terry, I'm not authority on bee's wax but I do know that all bee's wax is not equal, depending on what area of the hive the wax is harvested from it can be from white to dark brown, all shades in between, and also vary greatly in how hard it is. I was looking for a harder wax and found a bee keeper at the local farmers market that got me a piece of comb that is very dark and hard, much harder than what you find for sale. I had to melt it in a double boiler and strain it before using it. If you can find a local bee keeper you may be able to get a wax that is dark and use it as is.

Tom

Terry, I had another thought, in the past I have mixed wax with earth pigments without any problem. I just melted the wax in a double boiler and mixed in the pigment.

Tom

Tom: Thanks for both suggestions. I believe I will try the pigments. Just met a bee keeper and he carries the wax so will see about the darker type. Good suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Terry

Back