Mini Highboy April class

Jeff L Headley

I have posted a picture of what our April class will cover. If anyone is interested. Thanks,Jeff

Attachments

• P5170068.JPG
    P5170068.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 59
Jeff - Curious, how "mini" is this mini-highboy, and was it patterned after an actual antique that size?  I've seen quite a few references to colonial mini-furniture in modern magazines, cabinetmaker's websites, etc..., but I haven't found examples in the museum catalgue books that I own.

Any references (book, page number, etc...) would be much appreciated.

David

David, The height of the miniature is 28 3/4". This one is after an original which lives about 5 miles from our shop in Clarke county Virginia although the original has a broken arch top and triphed feet. Winterthur has quite a few (miniatures) in their collection. There is a book on miniatures but I will have to see what the name of it is. This one pictured was made by Steve Hamilton. They are very sought after by collectorsand are hard to find. We also have one that is only dry fit and comes apart as a teaching aid. WWOTSV.com Thanks, Jeff

Thanks for the insight, Jeff.  I can certainly understand the demand from collectors - housing and caring for a 9 foot tall secretary would take significant resources.  Interesting comment about the rarity of these objects.  I would think they'd have survived in much higher percentages than the full-size versions because they could easily be carried from the house in a fire situation, and wouldn't suffer nearly as many broken feet, legs, etc.. because the weight is much less.

David

David,  Here is a good book on miniature furniture:  Miniature Antique Furniture by Herbert F & Peter B Schiffer published by Livingston Publishing Co  ISBN # 0-87098-049-1

Thanks.  I ordered "Miniature Antique Furniture:  Dollhouse and Children's Furniture from the United States and Europe" by Herbert and Peter Schiffer, 1997 edition.  There was an earlier, 1970's book by the same authors titled "Miniature Antique Furniture" - I'm hoping it's basically the same book and the 1997 book includes the earlier material.

David, Our book looks to be from the 70"s. Please let me know what you think when you get it. Our's has some amazing pieces in it. The best thing about miniatures or child size, quarter scale doesn't really work, pieces are the amount of lumber they take. You need the same workmanship if not better fitting joinery. Thanks Jeff

Jeff - Since I don't have the 70's book, it's hard to compar with the 1997 edition.  I received mine earlier this week, and it has 265 pages.  Most of the images are black and white, but there are multiple color photographs distributed among the black and white illustrations.

Unfortunately, like many Schiffer books, there are very few photographs of the interior of the pieces that would be helpful to cabinetmakers, though the construction of many of the pieces could be surmised based on the area in which they were made.

If your edition doesn't have the color photographs, I'd recommend buying this book, as used copies are relatively inexpensive.

David

Back