Making your own hardware - hinge pins

klkirkman

I am making my own hardware for a presentation piece using sterling silver and I have hit a wall.

The problem is the hinge pins; I am making them from wire sized to the hole size in the castings and I am familiar with how to pean the ends over on one end of the stock in a split clamp die I made to form a head before inserting the pin in the two castings, but I am stumped on how to upset the other end in situ.

Sterling silver is extremely soft and subject to deformation, and I am reluctant to try to upset the "second" ends in place for fear that I might deform the hinge  castings or even mushroom the end so that it seizes up the hinge action.

I doubt that anyone has actually done this as it really is an obscure matter but does anyone have any good ideas ?

Karl

There is no way around it, you are going to have to stand the thing on end and pein it. I have done it with brass hinges but not silver. Lots of light taps I would think, just enough of a swelling to keep the pin from falling out.

I have not done this for a cabinet or box hinge but I have done it when making jewelry. In stead of upsetting the opposite end of the pin, upset just enough rite below the head to keep the pin from falling out. You can even peen the pin out of round just below the head so it locks in place .

Hi Millcrek
  I just did this on a teapot handle, I have a set of nail punches that have a small cone in the end. The different sizes have worked well for putting a small rounded heads on the pins.  I use one punch in the vise and one to set the pin. This way there will be no presser  on the pin      Randy

Back