Mahogany Antique and Modern

TheWoodWiz

While perusing Patrick Edwards blog I discovered a reference to a c. 1926 book called "Mahogany Antique and Modern" by William F. Payson. It's a celebration of Mahogany which attempts to cover all aspects of this fascinating material; from harvesting it in the forest, shipping it, processing it into lumber and veneer, and finally fashioning it into Furniture and Architectural elements. Various authors were employed to write the chapters and as a result the writing is uneven.

Nonetheless, the book is a fascinating historical piece, replete with some incredible imagery. Since the book is scarce, I had the thought to scan a few of the images and post them online.

Here's the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114534187735626934521/ImagesFromMahoganyAntiqueAndModern?authkey=Gv1sRgCIOI9t6hxdWz3gE#

I hope you enjoy!

JB

JB,

I love the book, and I actually own it.  It is amazing to see the images.  It is sad to know we will never see trees this big in Mahogany.  Thank you for sharing.

FR

Wow, what images. Thank you for posting these photos. What an unbelievable resource that will never occur again in my lifetime.

Wow, my Grandfather worked in the timber industry prior to WW2 while he was a child. While in the navy his ship stopped near Cuba and he was able to go to Cuba and seen this type of timber first hand. He talked about how different the timber industry was there compared to logging in Pa.

Back