Mack Headley

Antiquity

Mack Headley, master furnituremaker at Colonial Williamsburg, officially retired as of today. We wish him the very best in his retirement. And thank him for all he has taught us over the decades.

Dennis Bork

My brother has inspired all of us to strive for excellence in all of our endeavours. I am sure he will continue to do the same in the future. Thank you Mack

Not only does Mack have tremendous knowledge in and skill set for furniture making and carving, he also is a gifted teacher of those skills.  A 2 day workshop with Mack, and I knew I could add carving to my work (not nearly at his level though!).  More importantly to me, though, was the brief conversations we've had at the conferences whether it be about furniture construction, style, the orders of architecture, favorite adult beverage.....  Mack has been a true inspiration- not just in furniture making, but also, in how to be as a person.

Enjoy retirement, Mack!

The episodes of "The Woodwright's Shop" with Mack are among my favorites. He truly is a gifted teacher and has forgotten more than I will ever know. His deep, deep knowledge of the history of the craft is inspiring on it's own without even getting into his actual skills. Truly a leader of the craft and I hope he has plans to enjoy his retirement.

Back