Looking for Drafting Machine

Dan Schwank

I am in the market for a large drafting machine to draw full size furniture plans.  Must be left handed.  Any leads would be appreciated.

The most useful tool I have for doing drawings:

sketchuphttp://www.sketchup.com/

and the price is right.

do the tutorials and in a few hours you'll be able to draw anything.

If you have the ability to read this post, you are already have all of the skills you need to learn it. The only people unable to learn to use it are the ones who are unwilling to learn.

I use a parallel rule on a large drafting table that pivots vertical.  I found the drafting table on craigslist and made my own top.  I never switched to computer drawing, didn't want to go through the learning curve.  I need to see things full scale.  I have been dealing with another millwork shop over a large door order for a client of mine and they draw thru computer.  Moving in that direction work wise would be my only reason to switch..as of now....

Cannot disagree that Sketch Up would work, but I approach drawing the same way I build furniture;  by hand.  I enjoy the process, and the results I get making a hand drawn print.  I'm not being stubborn, (I run CNC machinery and do a lot of computer programming and drawing at work.) it's just my preference.

All of the pieces we have to offer are drawn by hand at 1/4" per 1" and then take them to our local housing blueprint copying company to copy. I must be missing something Left hand?

Drafting machines have the protractor head and scales either on the left or right side, depending on the dominant hand of the user.  I am left handed, so would need the head on the left side.

I would still look for a parallel rule.  Do those drafting machines have size limitations?  Just my 2 cents...  I have started to scan my full scale drawings at the local UPS store.  They save them to a PDF and I email them to the client.  Much easier and cheaper then snail mail or fed ex.... 

Back