Lancaster flintlocks

BigTop

I am looking into building a flintlock, probably beginning with a kit.  Does anyone have experience with specific kits?  Can you recommend a kit or books/articles to read?  I would also be interested in looking at as many carved stocks as possible to get a feel for the carvings and embellishments for such a piece.  I live in the Baltimore/DC area and would love to see some originals if there are collections around.  I have seen the Williamsburg collection.

Hi,
As far as I know there's little or no flintlock content here - if you have questions I'd suggest contacting the folks on the forum at:

http://www.americanlongrifles.com/

They're a great bunch, very helpful and very knowlegable. 

As for kits, the best ones on the market are widely believed to be by Jim Chambers - his website is at:

http://www.flintlocks.com/

Also very friendly folks, and to hear the way people talk about them, the kits almost snap together. 

Good luck in your endeavors - there were some truly stunning examples made in the past, and some stunning work being done by current makers too. 

Regards,
Brian Smith

Dunlap Woodcrafts  in Chantilly Va specializes in gunstocks. 703.631.5147
They will probably have a space at the Woodworking show at the Dulles Expo, which I think is on March 12, 2011.

John

Jim Altemus, who is on the council, Builds flintlocks. He builds them at a local living history museum. Send him an email I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Brian - you're doing the right thing by starting with a kit - don't skimp on price, the reputable suppliers will be in the range of $500 - $700 for a good pre inlet stock and quality locks and other parts.  Doing a kit first gives you a good sense of what it takes to have all the parts placed to make the gun balanced and function well.  Then you can go to the next step and do one from a blank, but there is a lot of inlet work building one "from the board".  Tenesee Valley Muzzleloading in Corinth, MS, Pecatonica River supply in Illinois, and Cabin Creek Muzzleloading are three of many good suppliers out there, and their pre inlet stocks have a very good reputation - there are some problems if the stock is not pre inlet well.  Track of the Wolf carries a huge inventory of parts.  All these folks have websites, and I would contact them to check on availability of barrels, etc. In my opinion, Jim Chambers makes one of the top quality locks out there, and also has kits.

Give me an email at [email protected] if you would like - I'm not the most experienced builder out there to be sure, but have made a few from scratch and have had some fun blowing off a few rounds.

Jim Chambers is a great guy to work with.  My son built one of his kits.  They also have an instruction DVD you can purchase.

I've built two flintlock rifles from scratch using the book Recreating The American Longrifle by William Buchele. This book is out of print but available in the used book market. An excellent book covering every aspect of building a flintlock rifle.
Ron

Back