Keyhole escutcheon

jim vojcek

I have been working on a spice box.  Have no idea how to install the inset keyhole escutcheon.  I understand to be inset, it must go into the wood, but that's it.  Any ideas? 

Jim Vojcek

Is it a wire escutcheon? If it's a modern reproduction, it's possibly an extrusion with parallel sides which doesn't make your job of fitting it any easier (lightly file a chamfer around the periphery of what will be the back of the escutcheon to assist entry into the wood). If it's a quality cast reproduction, then its sides will likely be tapered.

Either way, measure the major and minor diameters (if round-bottomed, or the width if square-bottomed) and drill appropriate (slightly undersize) holes in the spice box. If this is your first attempt, I would recommend a dummy run on a scrap of the same timber. Hammer the escutcheon in flush with the wood surface (taking care not to leave an indent in the wood). The escutcheon can be driven out from the reverse with a suitable drift, so practice as many times as you need to.

Jack Plane's response is excellent. Your choices of modern rim escutcheons vary quite a bit here in the States. Some are big blobs of brass in a rough keyhole shape others are already tappered as already mentioned. Some even have holes in the side for brads. I would not recommend brads. Small carving chisels might aid in setting then leave your escutcheon proud and carefully file flat.

I just finished my spice chest this summer. I used the process Jack described, but instead of hammering in I used two pieces of scrap, I pushed the escutcheon as far as I could with my thumb. then put 1 piece of scrap over it and the other on the back of the door and used a C-clamp to drive it flush.

I would recommend practicing on a piece of scrap. My escutcheon looked good at first glance but the bottom on one side was a little thick and caused it to angle severely when it went in place. A closer look showed where the problem was and a little filling fixed it.

Thanks for the information.  The keyhole escutcheon is a cast from Londonderry Brasses.  I have been practicing on scrap of the same type of timber.  I noticed putting a piece of masking tape on the escutcheon makes a big difference in positioning it.  Once the unit is ready to be seated, should some type of glue be applied to keep it in place? 

Jim Vojcek

Back