Just Arrived:Samuel McIntire, Carving an American Style

Curious - Did you order yours from Amazon?  I just received a notice from Amazon stating that the "release date" had changed to Nov. 1st.  I'm wondering if it's advisable to cancel my order from Amazon and try another outlet.

Got mine from Wal-Mart about a week ago. Great price for a great book. I'm sure that you will all enjoy it.

I cancelled my order with Amazon when I got the delay notice.  There are plenty of copies locally available at this time and I did not want to wait on Amazon and then find the book sold out.

Amazon book sales!!

Those Amazon folks need to get their book act together.  Amazon's failure to deliver on other book orders has been a subject of discussion here in the past - like for the Pennsylvannia Spice Box book! This phenomenon seems to be linked most often to those books that Amazon claims to have in its own inventory.

Amazon - always ready to sell at a good price - often more ready to delay or cancel than fulfill the delivery! 

Kent Ryan

Craig - Thanks for the note about Wal-Mart.  I received my copy from them on Wednesday, and I would've never thought about Wal-Mart for book sales.  It is indeed a nice book with a lot of information.

I agree with the comments about Amazon.  Every time I order a book they send a delay  notice, just as it is supposed to ship, and delay it 3 months.  Then after the 3 months are up they do it again. Over and over again.    I waited a year for a gilding book and finally cancelled it.  They are terrible

Anyhow, I searched Wal Marts book section by ISBN, Author , TItle, Pulbisher etc.  No matter what I do they say book not found.  How did you all find it on Wal Mart.  Do you have to call local stores?  Can you buy it at Wal Mart on line?  Any help would be appreciated.
Scott

Scott,

I tried to see if I could get you a link at walmart.com and all I came up with is this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=6185164&sourceid=1500000000000003260340
which says book not available online. It was back when I ordered it so I'm not sure what happened. Here's a link to another seller that has a pretty good price although I've never done business with them: http://www.paradoxalpress.com/store/book/0875772099.htmd

After hearing all of the Amazon complaints, I'm wondering if I should cancel my order for Frances Gruber Safford's "American Furniture in The
Metropolitan Museum of Art: I. Early Colonial Period: The Seventeenth-Century and William and Mary Styles."

Craig

The Met book is being published by Yale, and based on the Yale web site, the publishing date keeps being pushed back.  Don't blame Amazon.  When I last checked a week ago, Yale listed the available date as December 3.  (I've been following the for about a year and a half now!  I think the original date at the Yale date was April of 2006)

Dennis - Haven't read it cover to cover yet, but it's definitely not a "museum catalog" book.  In particular, there's a chapter on the history of Samuel McIntire's life, education, etc..., and how this fits into the business environment and development of Salem, and a chapter on comparative analysis of McIntire's carvings between his early and late work, as well as some of his contemporaries.

There are also a lot of pictures, some of them quite good close-ups of the carved figures and ornament on the Derby chest on chests, which I've not found in any of my other books.

anyone have a clue ,where  I could get a snowflake punch, like the one McIntire used in his fantastic carvings

Rich,

All of the conservators and conservation carvers that I know make their own to match what they are replicating. All it takes is a hex head bolt and a decent set of needle files. The "punches" don't have to be hardened unless you plan on using them frequently.

Craig

Rich

From what I saw of Phil's punch it was just like Craig described a round piece of steel that was filed to the snowflake shape, very easy to do.

Jim

McIntire used an 8-pointed stamp. The only commercially available stamps I could find have 6 or 10+ points.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:SPy77lurkB0J:www.thebestthings.com/newtools/henry_taylor_punches.htm+%22carver%27s+punch%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46350&cat=1,130,43332

McIntire possibly made his own as Craig described.

Back