Jigs

This should be a simple thread. Please tell us your favorite jig!
How wood you hold something to do something?
Nail and nut. Setting bed bolt nuts in a rail might require a retrieval method. Once setting a nut in a bed rail splinters from the bolt hole might not let the nut be removed easily.

Attachments

• Nail and nut.JPG
    Nail and nut.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 79
Lets start off simple...PSA sandpaper on a block of wood and use a hand plane blade to cut bevels...

Attachments

• AngleBlock.jpg
    AngleBlock.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 79
For a Winchester writing desk I need scallops, here is a template; I use a bottom bearing temple bit.  Do all in a row, cut apart and few quick cuts with a chisel after and all done.

Martin

Martin,

I like your jig.  My next major project is based around Jeff's Winchester slant top desk.  This jig will come in handy.

Thanks for sharing,
David

Martin S. said:
For a Winchester writing desk I need scallops, here is a template; I use a bottom bearing temple bit.  Do all in a row, cut apart and few quick cuts with a chisel after and all done.

Martin

I have no qualms about employing a power tool to do some of the donkey work if it saves my aching joints (though I won't use a power tool within two processes of a finished surface).

After routing the desk parts, do you then go back over the shaped pieces with a rasp (or some such) to make them individual and authentic looking?

Not being critical, just curious.

A fixture differs from a jig in that when a fixture is used, the tool must move relative to the workpiece; a jig moves the piece while the tool remains stationary.
So Martin actually has a fixture, as does Jeff.
I mix the two up as well.
Back to your regular programming

As with everything today. It's all in what you call it.
Mike, I see your point. Thank you for the clarification. I still think that a jig sounds better than a fixture. But the Jig is up? I have not been on top of things lately. It must be the years of cleaning off lead based paint or just?

Jack, I was surprised when i finished them off and cut into place they looked more "authentic" then I thought they should...so in reality came out just right.  martin

Back