inexpensive tool list

Jeff L Headley

Many people ask me about a determined yet new to the woodworking world enthusiast's tool list. I recommend :  
Smoothing  plane
Block Plane
Flat and curved bed spoke shave
Set of flat bevel edge bench chisels
Cutting gauge
Mortising gauge
T Bevel
Dividers
Compass
Small square
Flat cabinet scraper
Dovetail saw
Bench Knife
Tape Measure
Shoulder Plane
Protractor
Rasp
Camera
And a heavy dose of patience.
What might be the best tool at the cheapest price for the above list for the normal person that would like to investigate period woodworking? If you have any other great tool ideas please add them.

Thanks for the contact info for the maple. 

For the list-  I would add a sharpening stone(oil) and a grinder.  Delete the protractor(even though its cheap).  I would say buy the chisels and smoothing plane first along with a good dovetail saw.  If they are new to this- tell them to buy the knowledge from someone on how to use all those tools..... 

Jeff,

I would be hard pressed to make many of the things I have made without a brace and a few bits.

My actual first set was the above plus :

Try Square
Marking gauge
Marking knife
Rule
3 chisels
Back saw
Smoothing plane
Block plane

I believe that starting with a small set of basic hand tools teaches you skills you would probably not gain with  lots of specialty tools.

Karl

I would add "pair of 1/4" and 3/8" mortise chisels" to the list - it's hard to substitute for those unless one has a mortising machine.  And, if the object is processing wood with hand tools, it would be hard to do without a panel gauge.  Even if one has power tools, it's not unusual to need to process a board that's wider than one's jointer, and cutting such a board into strips to fit one's machines then gluing it back together shows evidence of a deep character flaw ;-).

I appreciate every one's comments and agree with the additional tool recommendations. I hope there will be more additions. This question comes from tool brands in our modern environment. We all decide upon the amount of modern knowledge we add to our interpretation of period pieces. Do you have to have the most expensive of modern tools or will others do? I wanted this to be an exploration of modern tools. With that said Period tools should always be considered if available.

Oh yeah - and one item that often gets left off of tool lists - a suitable workbench built for hand-tool use.  The wimpy off-the-shelf benches sold by the major woodworking stores won't cut it, in my opinion.  They're fine for power-tool work where all you need is a flat surface at a convenient height, but when using handtools, particularly hand planes, they're not nearly heavy or stout enough.

One can buy a decent workbench - at a price.  The L-N Ruobo and "Improved" benches are more than suitable, but they do cost quite a bit.

Best advice I could give to someone that wants to get into handwork is to build a bench, and not to the plans out of Fine Woodworking.  Those benches are suitable for powertool work, not hand tools.  The best resource is easily Chris Schwarz's two books on making and using benches, and I would add the first one "Workbenches:  From Theory and Design to Construction and Use" to any hand-tool list intended for newbies.

Don't forget various sizes of bench hooks.  They are great for holds all sizes of work.

Dennis Bork

Back