How would the top of this chest been made...

ttalma

How would the top of the chest in the attached picture been made? The chest is 68" tall so I assume it would be visible.

Attachments

• PAChest.JPG
    PAChest.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 78
The chest is 68" tall so I assume it would be visible

Tim,

You are, what, 6' 3"?  6' 4"? From the vantage point of an 18th century man, the top would probably not be seen.

Do you know if the sides are frame and panel? Or is the case dovetailed? There are probably a number of ways that this could be built so that the top is flush with the top of the molding.

Mark, I'm 6'5" - average height. I have no idea how the case is built. I saw the piece in this months antiques magazine and and was curious how it would have been made. Other than the picture all I know is it's dimesions and it's made in PA.

Mark,
The sides would have been dovetailed into the top so you would not see the dovetails from the top. The mold on the sides would cover the dovetails. I have much more detail if you are intersted in the exceptional construction methods used in chests of this region. Great German influences, check out Kaare Loftheim's article in the new APF. Jeff

Hi Jeff - Would the original chest have used a secondary wood as the top?  And would this be common on most flat-topped tall chests, chests-on-chests and other furniture of the period that would be too tall for the average person to see?

As far as this chest I can not say. With many tall chests out of walnut you will see walnut used in the top. Walnut being so perevalent. Certainly not as nice as the front but you will also find many, if not most, with secondary tops. I would think with other primary woods, say cherry or maple you would find few using primary woods. With chest on chests primary woods on the top would be rare.

Back