How do you dye holly?

Ronnie Young

I recently obtained a small American holly log that I intend to use for inlay work. I understand that holly can only be dyed when it is freshly cut after it has dried the dye will not penetrate the wood. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience dying holly? I assume that aniline dye will work. The colors I plan to use are red and black. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ron

Ronald, Hope you are doing well. I have not had much experience at dying holly other than to say alcohol stains will leach out during finishing if you use shellac which can be a complete bummer. What about an aniline dye in a pressure cooker. When someone else tries it please let me know how it works. Don't invite me over for pork and sauerkraut afterward, but maybe after a few weeks thats another story. I will say that I have had problems with dyed fineline when I have left it to proud and have had to remove a good bit of waste the next day. Set your veneer or fine line where you only have a little to clean up. What great project might this be for? I really enjoyed you sugar chest.

Jeff- I'm making some eagle inlays for a Federal Tea Chest and need some red material for the shield, thought about using red cedar but I'm not sure it is red enough.  Got the idea for dying holly from Jeff Williams a cabinetmaker at Irion Company. He discusses inlay and mentions dying holly on this blog:
http://woodtreks.com/category/techniques/inlay-marquetry/page/2/

Just finished a Corner Chair and Hepplewhite Chest of Drawers both in mahogany from Carlyle Lynch drawings. It's been too cold and wet here to apply the finish. Next on the list will be two copies of Thomas Jefferson's Tall Desk that I've been putting off for over a year.
Ron

Back