Holdfast

Jeff Saylor

I'm looking to purchase a holdfast for my workbench.  The holes for my stops are 3/4" dia.  What size holdfast would you go with- 5/8" dia. shaft?  Also, any particular brand prefered (or ones to stay away from!).

Jeff, I have a holdfast from Woodcraft. Its a pretty simple tool just a piece of steel with a bent end. One drives it into a hole in the bench. I think it's 3/4 diam., and the flat end tightens down on the workpiece. I assume this is the type you are looking at. It has no brand name that I'm aware of, and it was relatively cheap, maybe around $10. I highly recommend this, it is efficient and "fast". Cheap enough that I have 4 or 5 around.

I had a Woodcraft holdfast I purchased around 1980 or so that worked great. I picked up a couple more about ten years ago, and they snapped like a twig the first time I tried to use them, so I couldn't recommend those. I have a pair from Tools For Working Wood that work extremely well. I don't know what diameter they are offhand, but they work great in my 3/4" dog holes, and they are taller and have a longer reach that the aforementioned Woodcraft holdfasts.

The Prentice Store (757-229-1000, ext. 2117) at Colonial Williamsburg sells hold fasts made by their blacksmiths.  I bought 4 several years ago.  They work great!  The shaft is much longer so you can hold a 4" piece of wood to your bench and the throat (reach) is also deeper.  The shafts are a heavy 3/4" dia. (drill 7/8" holes in your bench).  Before these I used Woodcraft holdfasts which I now consider to be "Mickey Mouse" compared to the CW ones.  I use mine almost everyday.  You won't be disappointed with the CW holdfasts.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

I suspect that the holdfast that snapped was an inexpensive cast copy; cast iron is quite stiff and brittle compared to a forging that would be elastic, and tough.

A big problem with offshore parts today in many areas is that often the copiers (and even the importers) have little knowledge of the various manufacturing processes; a copy made of metal seems like the original. Things were forged for a reason, now often forgotten.

Karl

Karl,

You are so right.  That is why we need to have these types of items (all items) made in the USA again.

Dennis Bork

I agree with Dennis, The holdfasts from CW work very well. I have 2 from 1998 and 2 from 2004. All are a little different as for the throat width but that is hand made. At one time I had two blacksmiths produce me 2 holdfasts each, they are a little shorter in the throat but still hold wood extremely fine.

When I was down in Williamsburg this past year I checked out the holdfasts at the Prentis store and they seam to have a wider foot then the ones I have. Different blacksmith and a different time I would guess. So my vote is for the CW holdfasts.

Thanks to all for the replies.  I did a quick google search on holdfasts and found out the following:

1.  Stay away from the cast ones- they're junk!
2.  There are a few blacksmiths out there with an excellent product- but quite expensive (up to $129/ pair)
3.  Gramercy Tools holdfasts seem to be the most talked about and liked of all the store bought ones and they're priced right (around $32/pair).

Tools for Working Wood carries the Gramercy Tools holdfasts and they are listed for fitting 3/4" holes but they don't state the actual shaft size.  I can only assume it's 5/8".

I've got some big meathooks laying around somewhere- maybe I'll fire up the oxy-acetylene torch and get creative!

"Tools for Working Wood carries the Gramercy Tools holdfasts and they are listed for fitting 3/4" holes but they don't state the actual shaft size.  I can only assume it's 5/8"."

it's a hair under 3/4" maybe 3/4 less 1/32" I forget the actual diameter but it's an odd size.
We will have more in stock in about a week. 

Jeff- Cast ones are not always junk. I have some old ones I got at Woodcraft years ago that are really good. Some of the new cast  ones, as some have pointed out, ARE junk. I snapped two in half while working at another shop. "Taiwan" cast into the head. Avoid!-Al

I have a set of Joel's holdfasts and they are excellent and affordable.  They are capable of fine degrees of adjustment to the holding power.  Because these are bent in a semi gentle curve at the head angle, instead of a sharp right turn like a proper forged one, they take a little (tiny) bit more to dislodge.  They don't really have a dislodgement striking point like a forged one does, or should.  I've found that the mallet I have with the green rubberish membrane around it is best for setting these.  I've developed the habit of smacking the shaft under the bench to loosen them when convenient; this is easier for me than trying to smack the top.  I also wish that Joel would offer a longer shaft length option.  Sometimes I want to hold down something pretty tall, like a foot or so.

Regards.

JD

wallysandcrab said:
They don't really have a dislodgement striking point like a forged one does, or should.  I've found that the mallet I have with the green rubberish membrane around it is best for setting these.  I've developed the habit of smacking the shaft under the bench to loosen them when convenient; this is easier for me than trying to smack the top.  I

Try stirking them on the back the the crook while pulling up with your hand grasping at the top at the same time. Works for me at least.

Back