Greg Guenther & Mary May Class

marymaycarving

Just checking to see if anyone is interested in a week-long (or longer) combined class with furnituremaker Greg Guenther (from Savannah, GA) and woodcarver Mary May (from Charleston, SC).

It will most likely be located at Greg's shop in Savannah.

What I am trying to find out is what class would you like us to offer? If you could learn how to build and carve anything at all (in a week) what would it be?

We were discussing possible topics, and I suggested a small 3-legged pedestal table with the long ball and claw feet (rat feet?). The center turned column would have an acanthus leaf carved section. Not sure if this would be too much to do in 5 days. We may also be able to offer an extra day with Roger, who does finishing for Greg at his shop and is very knowledgable in this area. We would cover turning the center column, shaping the legs, learning the joinery, carving (maybe even a small acanthus leaf on the legs???) and how to make the top. Just some ideas, but may be too much for 5 or 6 days.

You can check out greg's web site www.guentherwoodgroup.com and my web site www.marymaycarving.com. I have had the wonderful opportunity to work with Greg on some amazing projects - he is a highly gifted furniture maker. I believe he offered a SAPFM workshop several years ago in his shop.

Any input would be appreciated. You can either reply to this forum or e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks!

Back