Goddard Tea Table

briyon

After a long hiatous from my Goddard tea table I have been back at it in the past couple of weeks.  I am at the point where I am ready to start the table top.  I have some questions about where to begin.  I know others on this site have made this table and may have some tips for me.

1. I am pretty sure that you use the table rails and beadboard as a template for the outside edges of the top...is that correct?
2. Do you cut out the outside shape of the table top first and then use that to draw the inside edge of the carved molding?
3. At what step do you put the rabet in the bottom?
4. I am assuming you cut the cove on the bottom outside edge of the top last? Is that correct.

I made a practice (bass wood) top that I want to go through the steps on before I get to the mahogany. Any help that you can give me on the steps and sequence that they are performed to complete the top would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Brian,
I prefer to carve from the inside edge of the top, toward the outer edge, to the bottom. Mostly because the inside edge is the focal point in my mind.  I did shape the outer edge fairly well first but mostly to know where to bring the carving to, if that makes sense.  It makes sense that the top could be marked off the bead, or your plans if you have them. I chose to work off the top vs coming up from the bottom.

Then cut the rabbet and carve the cove to bring it together.  I'd say there is a bunch of ways to tackle it. I dont know why the rabbet couldnt be cut first but I have dinged up corners in handling parts so I'd rather risk a corner that will be removed later anyway.

Around here anyway, something always need to be hand fit (fudged) a bit, either to bring the curves together or in fitting the top to the bead. So you have some flexibility.

Good luck, John

John: Hopefully you'll see this as it has been a while since anyone posted on it. I need some clarification of the rabbet I see folks discussing on the Goddard tea table. My drawings show no rabbet. Can I assume it is cut on the bottom in order to drop it in to the apron? I see the bead and cove on the outside but no rabbet.

Your response is appreciated.

Terry

Brian- I think you have the order of ops correct.
Do the rabbet first so you can run a nice straight edge on the saw or plane fence. The rabbet is the same depth as the applied bead on the top of the skirts.
Next, trace the top from the base, then project out the molding profile another little bit, about 1/4, I think, if that much.
Bandsaw out the edge and then project the molding inward so you have a line to relieve the top to.
Take the top down and then bring the recess up to your inside molding line.
Scratch bead the outermost edge.
Relieve the inside of th molding with a router or router plane to the depth of the bead.
Carve the molding, and on the low side scratch a fillet around the inside edge about 1/8" higher than the top to guide you.
Make a scraper to finish off the molding.
Cove out the underside. The bottom of th cove wants to end in th same plane as the skirts, not the applied bead. Ideally , you want to trace the top from th base before you add the bead to the top of the skirts.

This is certainly not the only method, but it works for me...Al

Back