Goddard Tea Table Top

briyon

I recently finished a Goddard ogee skirt tea table and had a question about the rabbeted underside of the top.  I used a dado set on the table saw to cut the rabbet on the bottom and then a router plane to clean up the dado marks.  How have others created this rabbet?  I am always curious about the processes that folks use.  I then try those techniques on future projects.  I basically used Al Breed's techniques in FWW master class to do the top side of the top but there was no explanation about the rabbet on the bottom.
Thanks,

Brian

Brian- That's about the best way to make the rabbet. Make sure to allow for expansion of the top, so leave 1/8 or so for next summer's humidity-Al

Jim,

I am not sure if you have access to FWW online but if you do the article is here.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subscription/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=32267

Brian

All, This table was a forum topic a few years ago and is presumably in the archives. I recall photos were included and I think I posted some myself. Not sure that photos get archived but search and see.
John

Back