Finishing Walnut

kinter

I am building a walnut corner cabinet,arched topw/ finial. My problem has always been
a good finish. Some sapwood shows I would like to achieve a finish that is (1) uniform in color & (2) the appearance of an older piece. I am told to start with lemon-yellow (NGR) dye stain. What are the next steps & materials & proportions? I am a new member so I hope I have gone about this the right way.

Thank you

John Kinter
J.Kinter's Cabinet Shop, Inc.

I prefer a coat of orange or garnet shellac and a finish coat of lacquer. The shellac could also be a finish coat followed by wax. I find the shellac gets rid of the purple hues in walnut. I try to avoid sapwood but the proper dye should help that.  Pratice on scrap.
Mike

I put a ton of walnut in our dinning room.  My process was slow, but came out nice and pretty fool proof (import for me when it comes to finish).  First, I avoided sap wood (yup, adds a lot of cost).  I applied Watco danish oil  per directions, waited a week.  Gave a light hand sand with 400 grit and then put 2 coats of Barlet Gel varnish. 

I did all the finsihing in the basement and then installed.  If you want to see, there are pictures at:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a88/Fogpics/Member%20Photos/Martin%20Silber/DinningRoom/

martin

Back