finishing pigeon holes in slant top desk

Dan_B

I am making a  repo of a philadelphia slant top desk out of curley cherry. secondary wood is poplar. As I have seen most pigeon holes in the gallery are about 4 inches of primary wood and then the rest secondary. I plan to use boiled Linseed oil and then shellac.
How much finish is put on the pigeon hole area and what is the best way to accomplish it?
Are those areas just oiled?,
Is finish only on the primary wood

thanks

Dan

Dan, Most backs on desks run horizontal for both access and finishing. With the back, start at the bottom and overlap to the sub shelf. This way you will have access to the back of the interior during finish and if someone, in the future, needs access this will supply limited access. This way you can use what coloring medium you want. Some dyes leach thier color so I would cover all interior surfaces (pigeon holes) with shellac.

Dan, I should also say that once you apply your back the secondary wood is buried in the back and will not be seen. Little finish is applied on the originals.

Jeff L Headley said:
Dan, I should also say that once you apply your back the secondary wood is buried in the back and will not be seen. Little finish is applied on the originals.

Thanks

Dan,
I am making a desk right now as well.  On mine, the first three inches or so of the pigeon hole dividers are primary wood.  The back part is secondary wood.  I am not planning on dyeing the wood prior to applying the finish.  I am planning on finishing just the primary wood, more or less.  The primary wood parts will be polished, but not to the same extent as the more visibile parts of the desk.  I am thinking that finishing and polishing all these areas will be a pain.  Not sure if it would be better to finish all the individual components prior to final assembly.  I would have considered this more seriously if I were dyeing the primary wood. 
Rob

rchampagne said:
Dan,
I am making a desk right now as well.  On mine, the first three inches or so of the pigeon hole dividers are primary wood.  The back part is secondary wood.  I am not planning on dyeing the wood prior to applying the finish.  I am planning on finishing just the primary wood, more or less.  The primary wood parts will be polished, but not to the same extent as the more visibile parts of the desk.  I am thinking that finishing and polishing all these areas will be a pain.  Not sure if it would be better to finish all the individual components prior to final assembly.  I would have considered this more seriously if I were dyeing the primary wood. 
Rob

Thanks, that is the direction I will try also

Back