Finish on Mahogany

msiemsen

I am finishing a Willard federal mahogany tall clock case, bare wood, probably mahogany substitutes. I  would like to use shellac, I was thinking of using garnet, maybe ruby if i can get it, until I get close to the color I want, then clear over that and a dark wax to highlight the moldings. I thought I would tap the collective wisdom before I start for good sources for shellac and recommendations for a good color and things to avoid. I will make samples on scrap. Tell me what you have done that was fairly easy and looked great!

I don't use much mahogany, preferring walnut instead, but I've had good luck with shellac.net's offerings. Kusmi #2 or Byshaki will work for you, provided it doesn't have to be dewaxed.

Mike,

I use dewaxed dark garnett shellac from Olde Mill Cabinet Shop in PA. I think it gives a nice antique look to the item when used over water base dyes.

Dennis Bork

Mike, I would color the Mahogany to a shade preferable (dyeing or chemically) to the color you want then just add an orange shellac ( Google Merit Industries, while there sign up for Peter's finishing news letter.  Dry flakes $9 to $15 a pound)coating. I am cheap and just like a nasty cat I spray a finish when needed. Maybe a little to traditional. Wax is a good outer coating. Orange shellac is great for aging an established color or finish. Also if any scuffs, the color is in the wood not over it. I have always found it is better to establish a foundation color in the wood and then shade as needed from there. Of course you know stay away from oils stains or then just paint the surface. Please let me know if I can help. You have certainly helped me out before.

Back