Filling Mahogany pores on a Federal style tea box?

I am currently making federal style (C. 1805) Tea Box.  It is veneered with a ribbon stripe mahogany and will include inlaid stringing, banding, a crotch mahogany oval, etc.  I have finished the veneering of the box and am ready to begin inlaying the stringing and banding.  The surface veneer used on the box seems rather open grained and porous and I would like to fill it with an oil-based paste filler.  My question is: Should I do the filling prior to inlaying the stringing, banding, etc.?  I do not want the box decorations to take on the color of the filler.  I suppose I could do the inlaying and then seal all the inlays with shellac to prevent them from taking on color.  Does anyong have experience with this?  What do you think will work best?

Thanks for you help.  Jim Thompson

Jim,

I put the inlay in first because you always have to scrape/sand it flush with the surface.  Then I put a couple of coats of 2 lb. shellac on the inlay to keep it from taking on stain or filler.  There is an  article in Fine Woodworking on this : #178  Aug. '05  pg. 120.  Check it out if you have it.

Kirk

Back