Fall meeting planning progress report

Gerald

For those of you who were wondering, “Whatever happened to that Gerald guy and all his talk about a SAPFM Gateway Chapter,” here’s a quick update.  Although I’ve been kept very busy with family, work and church I have been able to make a little progress on planning the first Gateway Chapter meeting for this autumn.

I spent the other night visiting with SAPFM member Boris Khechoyan who lives here in the St. Louis area.  For those of you who aren’t already familiar with Boris, I encourage you to visit his website www.woodcarver4u.com.  In addition to being an amazing artist, Boris is an experienced teacher, innovative tool designer and a gracious host.  Although the many pictures on his website reflect his formal training and professional experience as a master woodcarver, there’s nothing like seeing the artist and his work in person.  Boris was kind enough to invite me to his home and workshop where we spent more than five hours discussing woodworking, SAPFM and about a dozen other subjects. 

Boris has agreed to take time out from his busy work as a full time professional woodcarver and teaching schedule in St. Louis and at the Marc Adams and William Ng woodworking schools to share his talent, knowledge and experience with us.  Although the details of his presentation are yet to be finalized, I am confident that all of you will enjoy visiting with him as much as I did.

I have also made initial contact with the St. Louis Art Museum regarding arranging for a private interpretive tour of their Colonial-era furniture collection.  Although no plans have been made, I have been assured that scheduling such a tour is easy.

As always, your input is needed to help make this a semi-annual event that you will enjoy and value, so please don’t hesitate to email me or post on the forum.

I was planning on attending the Ohio River Valley Chapter meeting earlier this month and had hoped to see some of you there, however, other obligations forced me to cancel reservations at the last minute.  I am, however, very excited about another event.  I highly encourage you to join me in Cincinnati the weekend of May 17 & 18 for a great event hosted by SAPFM members, Popular Woodworking Magazine & Chris Schwarz, Tom Lie-Nielsen, John Economaki and many others.  http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/SAPFM+To+Demo+At+Cincinnati+Handtool+Event.aspx

Finally, I’d like to thank all of you who have contacted me to express your interest in participating in Gateway events.  I also like to thank those of you who took the time to participate in the polls and discussions on the SAPFM website forum, although I suspect much of the activity was from members outside of the region. 

That’s all for now, I look forward to meeting all of you in fall.

Back