Fall 2015 Meeting Wrap-Up

Mark Maleski

Administrator
The Chesapeake Chapter held a successful Fall 2015 meeting this past weekend at The Woodworkers Club in Rockville, MD.  We will include a full summary in the Winter edition of  SAPFM’s Pins & Tales e-magazine, but would like to quickly thank the following people who contributed to the meeting and made it successful:

Member Spotlight Sessions:
- Wes Highfill assembled his chevalet and demonstrated how he uses it to saw the elements for marquetry. He also showed us how he uses the boulle technique and French assembly board to build the marquetry.
- Brian Landis gave a detailed demonstration to show how he inlays shell into curved surfaces.

Member Show & Tell:
- Bob Fantana showed two of his jewelry boxes with beautiful dragon marquetry and described how he designed and built them (he compared his method to the boulle technique, which he also has used).
- Bill Ghio showed his shaker-style nesting tables with quartersawn sycamore burl inlaid tops and described how he created the dovetail mitre frame.
- Haddon Carryer showed a beautiful PA spice chest he built to give himself a dovetail challenge (he found some additional challenges along the way).

Featured Presenter:
- Freddy Roman wrapped up a week that began with a class on hammer veneering and Federal Style inlay by giving the feature presentation to our chapter.  Freddy covered hide glue use and techniques, hammer veneering, furniture restoration, and gave practical tips on building traditional furniture in a modern workshop.  In the 3-day class that preceded our meeting, Freddy not only explained and taught the techniques needed for Neoclassical furniture construction, he also helped participants understand why the techniques being taught were the best approaches to veneering and inlay work.

Extra special thanks go to Bert Bleckwenn, who started the day running the video equipment and sound, but by early afternoon had taken over meeting administration when both Charlie and Mark had to leave due to unrelated family emergencies.   Also special thanks go out to Matt Nauman at The Woodworkers Club, who once again provided the meeting facility and hosted Freddy Roman’s class (and troubleshot technical challenges that arose when Freddy's techniques stressed the equipment setup).

Mark Maleski & Charlie Driggs

Mark & Charlie,

Thank you for everything! It was an amazing meeting and class. I can't wait to come down again.

FR

Thanks for the update guys. Sounds like I really missed a good one.  I'm really bummed that I haven't been able to make either of the last two meetings. I'm on a weekend work schedule for the foreseeable future. As soon as the dates are firm for the fall I will begin trying to manipulate my schedule.

Back