Fall 2010 meeting

MarkO

Our Fall meeting is scheduled for Oct 30, 31  at Ben Hobbs' woodworking school.  Below is the letter sent to all in our directory.  Anyone else interested in attending should contact Ben.

We have put together a slate of events for Oct. 30 - 31.  I will be hosting the weekend and will be doing a few of the sessions.  Since it is quite a ways over to Hertford, NC for most of you, I want to be sure your time here is spent well.

We are going to have one-hour sessions on a variety of topics described below.  We will start the day around 8:30 to 9:30 with greetings and tours (we have 16 pre-Civil War buildings along with a period furniture collection).

After introducing the other presenters, my son Matt and Tom Sears, at 10AM I will show how to turn a cabriole leg on the lathe (off-center turning).  At 11AM, Matt will show how he carved the shells and feet of the Thomas White desk.  Lunch will be served in the restaurant on site at NOON.

After lunch, we will discuss chair geometry and construction. This will include looking at some of my old chairs.  We are also going to do explore hidden dovetails and a conduct a general discussion of our experience reproducing a Thomas White desk now at MESDA.

From 4-5, Tom Sears is going to tell us how he made his new chairs look like his old chairs.  5-6 will be reserved for questions and comments.

Dinner will again be in the restaurant at 6 PM with show and tell following.  So bring your pieces.

On Sunday, we will meet at Hope Plantation, arguably the most important restored and furnished house between the James River and Charleston. The site is located about 30 miles west of Hertford which will put many of you 30 min. closer home.  We will have 2 lectures.  One will be on Northeastern NC furniture and history by Matt Hobbs. Matt is a furniture scholar, lecturer, and furniture maker (and my son). The second will be given by Hope's curator, Gregory Tyler.  She will talk about the inventory study that she just completed for the house and about the collection at Hope.  After a catered lunch, we will have hands on, camera allowed tours of the houses and collections at Hope.  We will have to do this in groups of 8-10.  There are several of us that will lead.

Since the Saturday?s events take place in my shop, I will need to know how many are coming. Please let me know as soon as possible. There are plenty of other places to do the demos, but I need to know.  Also the meals will probably be in the $12-15 range.  There will also be snacks and drinks available during both days.  I can be reached at 252-312-9609 or email.

Places to stay would be Springfield Inn (252-426-8471), Hampton Inn (252-482-3500, Edenton), Super 8 (919-482-2017, Edenton).  We are already full here at the Beechtree Inn because we are having an Elfe easy chair class that week.  There are still 2 slots left in the class.

I am looking forward to hosting this event, and we will be trying very hard to make this a rewarding and interesting weekend.

Ben Hobbs

Back