Edge Gluing Panels

Ty G

I need to edge glue to make a larger panel.  Am I correct in thinking to just cut square, glue, & clamp without biscuits or tongue and groove?  I don't have a jointer. 

Another quest.  Do you worry about making the joint in the middle or would it be acceptable to have a 12" wide piece glued to a 6" piece?  This is for the two sides of a small slantfall desk and of course they would be oriented the same on each side.

Ty, I hope all is well with you and your family and best wishes for this still New Year. We have had a mild winter but I still envy your spring.
As long as you have an excellent surface to surface contact with a good "glue" and clamps all should be good to go. Your grain positioning should be considered though on your 12" pieces with addition. Would your addition complement your 12" piece by accenting it on either side with two 3" pieces or just one additional 6" piece added to one side depends on your grain. You might be better off with two 9" pieces. I WOULD ALWAYS ADVISE AGAINST BISCUITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!( !!!!! ). If your joint doesn't fit, no glue or adhesion embellishment will hold it together over the years ( even pins). I have been told they work well for alignment  but starting at one end of my clamp up and working my way across the joint also works well without any added contaminants. I have seen some swelling around biscuits over the years and they haven't been used all that long. 

Back