Early and rare desk

Peter Storey Pentz

Those members who have a fondness for secret compartments (who doesn't?) will want to take a look at the Skinner's auction catalog for their August 11 sale.  Lot #38 is a William and Mary style escritoire or fall-front desk made in Philadelphia in the first decade of the 18th century.  It might be the only surviving American-made example of the form.  Some of the photos are a little confusing, but you can figure them out.  The desk sold for $270,000.00.  What is especially good about this sale is that it was purchased by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.  It is always a positive thing to have museums in "the game".  Also, it is to be expected that there will be some level of public access to the desk so you can put it on your projects list.  PSP

This is an outstanding piece. Absolutely lovely. I was planning to make a copy of the very similar 1707 Edward Evans desk, but have gotten sidetracked with other projects. This might push me back on that path.

I totally agree with the outstanding proportions & details this chest has.  It is amazing.  Thank you for sharing.

FR

Just a note of clarification, the scriptor was not made in Philadelphia as the catalogue describes. The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston is on the trail of its origins in Rhode Island. While there is still little published about the furniture industry in the Delaware Valley in the late 17th and early 18th century, no objects have been identified with veneering of the type seen on the scriptor.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2013/08/24/mfa-top-bidder-for-william-and-mary-desk/GMvEPPy4o4iSfLbVWoXtFK/story.html

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for giving us that link.  I had been procrastinating (a significant fault of mine) about updating this post.  In the November issue of Maine Antiques Digest there is a review of the auction with a fairly lengthy sidebar on this particular lot.  The gist of it is much the same as that provided by The Globe, but with greater detail.  Because much of M.A.D.'s website is accessible only to subscribers I can't provide a link to the membership at large.  I will transcribe it if enough people want me to.  A couple of relevant pieces of information about this escritoire are that there are 24 secret compartments and that it is one of only three examples of this form that are "well known".  The other two are the 'Edward Evans 1707' from Philadelphia (at Colonial Williamsburg)and the inlaid example from New York (at the Museum of the City of New York).

Because you mentioned the veneering style, I think it is worth noting, as far as I can tell from the photos, that the walnut veneer is not highly figured but simply flat-sawn from regular lumber.  This makes the replication of this escritoire a little easier.  PSP

Speaking of replication, does anyone have a good source for escritoire hinges? I could have a blacksmith make me a set if it comes to that.

Peter,
There is one more American scriptor or writing cabinet on chest of drawers to add to the list.
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2004/the-collection-of-mr-and-mrs-walter-m-jeffords-n08016/lot.204.html
The interior can be seen in Plate 1 of William Hornor's Blue Book of Philadelphia Furniture. The steps on the top are not original to the scriptor. It is quite small, only 64 inches tall with highly figured black walnut drawer fronts and door panels.

Back