Dyed Veneer Red Blue Green

FREDDY ROMAN

Gents,

Just got off the phone with a veneer supplier from overseas that produces custom dying for veneer, and they are willing to make dyed veneer in .9mm and 1.0 mm thickness. Also they are willing to do it any material we choose.  So I thought why not ask the membership who would be interested in maybe purchasing some veneer for  their work.  I have one veneer company interested, and maybe some pool cue fabricators as well.  The issue with this custom ordering is that we need order a lot of it.  Yet if we spread the cost among many then the cost is small.  This is a great opportunity, for the stuff isn't available any more.  Please think about it and let me know, for it would be great for marquetry and inlay.  

Cheers,

Fred

Freddy,

Do you think it possible to get samples of what they can produce before giving them a large order?  I would be interested in participating in the group order.

Mickey

Mickey,

Actually the suppliers asked me for samples that I may be interested in. For they will in turn match the color to the samples.  I will be gathering what I have and sending off to them soon.  There are two plants in France that willing to produce the dyed veneer if we get enough interest and $$$$.  I will talk to Sir Patrick Edwards and see if he has any blues and greens and reds in his inventory, for which we can compare and decide from there.  Thank you for your interest and please spread the word. 

Freddy, sending to France for dyed veneer seems awfully extravagant. Why not dye your own? It would be much cheaper in the long run and you could produce any colour your heart desires.

Jack Plane,

Yes I could make my own, but I am not 100% how.  Dyeing my own veneer is something that I may need to explore, for I will be using dyed veneer frequently in making inlays and marquetry panels. 

Fred

Many years ago I restored (and replicated) some eighteenth-century furniture that involved a fair amount of harewood (green-dyed Sycamore) and other coloured veneers. The only coloured veneers available commercially were far too thin, so I cut my own veneers and dyed them.

I bought a second hand aluminium pressure cooker from a charity shop and had a friend part the rim off the main pan on his lathe (although I could just have easily done it myself with a hacksaw). I then took it to a sheet metal works where they rolled a cylinder from sheet aluminium of the same gauge as the pan and then TIG welded the cylinder to the pan and rim.

The result was a pressure cooker that could accommodate 30" x 10" sheets of  veneer. For safety's sake, the modified cooker was first brought up to pressure outdoors on a gas burner, well away from everything and maintained at full working pressure for about fifteen minutes.

In use, I filled the cooker with water miscible aniline dyes which, under pressure, fully penetrated the 5/64" veneers. From memory, the total cost of the pressure cooker was less than $100 - probably much less than the cost of shipping veneer from Europe.

Back