Duncan Phyfe at the Met

briyon

Went to the Met yesterday for the Duncan Phyfe exhibit.  It was pretty impressive, as well as the rest of the American furniture exhibit.  No photographs allowed, even without a flash.  I never understand that...but I also pre-ordered the book from Amazon so I have photos of all the pieces.  The exhibit was well worth the trip and the entrance fee. I am thinking about adding a wine cellaret to my list of projects.  There were a couple beautiful cellarets on display.  Al Breed also had a video that kept cycling through on carving the Duncan Phyfe ribbon.

Brian

I can't swing a trip to the Met right now(someday) but I can sure cover the cost of a dvd! Now if only I knew where to get one... hint, hint! Come on Al, where are you hiding them? I looked next to the Michael Jackson collection as suggested on another post here but still no luck.....

I'd like to get down to see the exhibit sometime in January, but would have to stay over. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable hotel anywhere near the Met?

In Sept my wife and I went to the Met. Flew to laguardia Airport and stayed at the Holiday Inn Expree in Flushing - near the airport. If we had driven, the parking at the Inn was free. The Inn provided free transportation to and from the airport.  Also free van service to and from the local subway station.  The Inn had detailed maps of the MTA transportation systems - busses, subway and Els.  Hotel normal rate was $110. per night. MTA 5 day pass was 29.00 each.  Total costs for 5 days was 110.00 per night for hotel, 58.00 for MTA pass plus food and museum tickets.

It was also possible to ride the MTA all the way to the Brooklyn art museum.  Everyone was very friendly and riding the MTA was a real positive experience. I don't feel we look old  (none of us do) but during crowded subway periods younger people offered us their seats. I couldn't believe the courtesy of everyone. A positive and relatively inexpensive visit to NYC
John Goyer

I have stayed a bunch of times at the Skyline hotel on the west side.  $154 a night.  HUGE room compared to others I have stayed at in NYC.  It is not the "best" street but well worth the price.  I will be back there for 4 nights in March and have a room booked there.

Pete
www.cherrybrookwoodworks.com

Mark- I had a bunch of dvd's but Bigfoot and a guy that looked a lot like Elvis stole them all.
You can go to the Met website and look under media and see the footage of turning and carving a part of a Phyfe bed that they did that's not in the show.-Al

Back