Drop Front Hinge/Stay

Woodmolds

On Double chest with desk that have a drop front (looks like a drawer front, but pulls out about 10"-12" and drops 90 degrees to form the flat writing surface) or "fall front"? Where can I get the stays for these fronts? Are stays the proper name? Is the latch an intergral part of the stay or seperate? If seperate, was this latch designed for desk or was it adapted from a universal latch?

Thanks!

Tony,
    Sorry I haven't replied before now,  but I am a new member, and I just saw your question.  If you haven't already found them, check with Ball and Ball.  Their numbers are J38 (4 and 4 1/2 radius) and J39.  Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Kirk

Thanks, Kirk
I had looked on the Ball & Ball website, but could not find a picture of this hinge/stay. I have found it on the price sheet, so I guess I'll have to order a print catalog. Ball sure has a poor website considering the high dollar hardware they sell. I do appreciate your reply, I was beginning to think this was a well kept secret among the chosen few.

Tony,
    Go to B and B's website.  Click on Products, then Furniture Hdw. , then Catches, and finally Cupboard, Table, and Single Purpose Catches.  This will give you a picture of the pieces you need.

Kirk

Kirk,
Much thanks again. Of course this brings up the obvious question if it's listed as a latch does it latch in the up position? The picture leads me to think not. If not is a latch even used for the up position? Answers that could be gleaned by looking at the period pieces or calling B&B I'm sure, but this seems so much simpler. I am appreciative of your willingness to answer my questions.

Upon rereading your answer to my post I see you have indeed already answered this question (J39) Sorry. Thanks again, Tony

Back