Drawer progression

johnah5

I thank all for the insight on column orders and look forward to getting the article that Mr Walker is writing.

That said, I am interested in any help on drawer progression.  I know there is the Fobanacci series but wondered how do you determine the size of the drawer to start with?

Any direction to other resources of information would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

I wrote an article which included my formula for drawer progression.  It's fairly complex and I feel cannot be the way this was determined.  That said, it's a template which fits over several period pieces I examined and many more I scaled from pictures in books.

A quick walk through a high end museum gallery will quickly reveal that no specific formula applies to all pieces.  I looked carefully at the more exaggerated cases.  It didn't appear to me to be an arithmetic series.  I hate to say this but these guys may have very well done this by eye.

Adam

Several old time friends of mine told me a good rule of thumb was to increase the width of the next drawer by the width of the divider.
u
So if the first drawer is 4", and 3/4" dividers, the next would be 4.75", the next 5.50", and 6.25".

It is preferable to a constant width.  It is not as elaborate approach, but like was said, I think many times they used a simple approach.

I have noticed "some" pieces have this progression.

Hope this helps.

Ken

First a little design background on drawer progression or what is often called graduated drawers. You are correct that it was a common practice to make each drawer narower than the one below it by the width of one drawer divider. The reason behind it again goes back to classical design. In the classical tradition, especially when stacking multiple elements vertically, you generally want to avoid identical shapes, one on top of the other. For example, a modern file cabinet is definitely not classically inspired. A series of square boxes stacked one over another is static. The term for an arrangement like this is called "dualism" and is usually to be avoided. Usually in the vertical plane designers avoid dualism in two ways. They make stack different sized rectangles one on top of another creating a heirarchy. That is the reason a chest on chest often has a square defining the bottom case and a rectangle in the upper case. In the case of graduated drawers, the Romans actually came up with this when they perfected concrete and brick construction and began making multi story buildings. To avoid dualism they graduated the stories making each floor slightly shorter than the one below. When they decorated the exterior with rows of stacked classic orders they actually continued the taper of the colunms up through each succesive floor making each about 10% shorter as it rises up. You can see this on many renaisance buildings also. I worked out a method using dividers for laying out graduated drawers that requires almost no math and is very quick to execute. I'm pretty certain that period craftsmen used a method very similar that could be accomplished with speed.  Unfortunitely, its one of those things I could show you in 60 seconds but it would take about four pages to explain with text. I have a couple of writing projects in the works, so I will get something in print you can follow.

George Walker

Back