dovetail dimensions

neophyte

I know this may be an impossible question to answer specifically due to regional difference,perriod differences, etc. However, I'm trying to get a general guideline as to the slope and pin neck size for the drawers on Federal and Queen Anne pieces.

Neophyte,

I suspect that the lack of any responses to this point is that your question is not amenable to a brief general answer.

Perhaps if you were to focus on a particular target, you might get some responses here.

I can also suggest starting with references to some particular pieces that interest you, and learning about them in the many reference books available these days.

Karl

Neophyte,
This is a good question to take to a chapter meeting. Check and see if there is one in your area.

I don't believe the dimensions and proportions of dove tails relate necessarily to furniture periods. I think you could say that in general they get finer later in history from the 17th century up to the industrial revolution. I think dove tails are more related to the individual craftsman and his or her ability.

Tom

I'm not sure if dovetail angles can be assigned to certain periods. It seems to be more a function of the woods being used (hardwood vs softwood) and, as already stated, individual taste. You might glean a kernel or two from this thread: http://www.sapfm.org/forum/index.php?topic=1188.0.

Ernie Conover spoke to the Rochester Woodworkers Society last fall concerning dovetails.  If I recall he did a lot of reseach at Yale documenting dovetails based on periods.  Not sure, but I think he said there was going to be a book.  Maybe you could contact him?

dovetail dimensions on drawers?

I dont think there are any guidelines. Most of the period pieces i see seem to have the drawer dovetails cut by someone other than the guy who built the case, perhaps an apprentice? The reason i say this is because when you look at the joinery thats visible its obvious that it was done by an expert however, pull out a drawer and the dovetails often look as though someone cut them with their feet.

I suspect 18th century cabinetmakers spent their time where it mattered, on the joinery that was seen & let others less skilled do the hidden joinery.

Back