Do you stain or not stain ends of drawer fronts

rockinrolly

I have just completed a Boston Block Front chest (Glen Huey's interpretation/plans) in cherry. I will stain the piece using aniline dyes. How should I handle the drawer ends?  I do not want to destroy the contrast of the dovetails of the cherry drawer fronts and poplar drawer sides - I want the dovetails to pop. So how do I handle the staining of the ends?  Do I not stain the ends at all?  Or do I stain just an 1/8" inside the edge or what?  This drawer front has no lipped drawer front profile, it is flush with the drawer blade.  The drawer opening has applied cock beads. Thanks for any input.

This is a late reply, but when I made a dyed cherry highboy, I actually finished the drawer fronts prior to glueing up the drawers but after dry assembly.  This way the dovetails matched the drawer front, and I didn't have dye all over the drawer sides.  The main trouble here is that your dry assembly has to be perfect, as you can't trim the glued drawer to fit. 
Rob

That may be a late reply but I had not thought if that. In my case I did need to plane the sides to get a good fit so it would not have worked on this project. Thank you for responding.

Back