Different hands

Jeff L Headley

This might be an area to discuss different influences of American period construction along with regional influences. A wide open question. With today's attention our nation's concepts decide upon what we might be interested in tomorrow. Joinery still holds true. What can we design for the future. Period joinery still hold true. Brown is retro. Black, white and chrome with a fake animal motif seem to be desirable today. Is wood good? Yes

Jeff and Freddy, I hope we can actually get a discussion going, it's been a little boring around here lately.
  First I'm not sure what "American period construction" means. What construction details are actually American and not just brought from Europe? It seems to me that the construction of American period pieces is traditional European construction. I think where we see American innovation in construction, is in the manufacture of Victorian pieces, while the construction is innovative it's not necessarily an improvement. In terms of style again what is actually an American innovation, it seems that American period pieces tend to be simplified versions of English or European work, even Federal work has English roots. If you read Sack he draws very subtle differences between English and American work which seem to be mostly a matter of individual taste. , I think we make a mistake when we think that American period work is in a separate class. Isn't it a continuation of an older tradition with some subtle changes. I'm not asking these questions to start trouble, I hope to hear different points of view. Chances are I don't know what I'm talking about, so don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, jump in.

Great discussion. You find period construction in Egyptian furniture before Europe was in the dark ages. There are only a handful of joints but countless ways to use them. How do we use them here (in the states) with a combination of local materials and local hands. You will find in our area half dovetail for setting rails. Easy and quick to fit. Hickory for hidden compartment releases. Different things like that. A few years ago restored a Tennessee chest on chest. No Iron, different things like that.

Unknown hands might be a better thread.
I think we need to honor the numerous unknown hand. Including black, white, and other's which contributed to the countless pieces made in America. From harvesting, sawing, curing, and delivering lumber.

Millcreek,

Boy you hit the nail right on the head. I am big believer that everything that is so called Americana is influenced by European, English, or French furniture.  Most craftspeople were immigrants and were trained in furniture construction which was established outside America.  This is why the term "American Period Furniture" doesn't really make sense. 

When you see furniture from the other side of the pond you will see pieces that are just amazing in detail and ornamentation. Are there similar examples made in the US? Yes, but far a few, and properly in the first few years of the immigrant landing the US.  As mentioned prior American furniture is simplified at best.  Yet there is nothing wrong with that, but I find it interesting. 

These days I find myself attracted more to English, European, and French furniture. 

Of course American period furniture is designed from previously developed forms. With all European forms, they certainly worked off of what was previously represented. Chippendale was a designer. He did not come up with the dovetail. My American period construction question comes from different regional influences. Winchester Virginia 1770 with numerous European influences, true most ethnic influences stayed within their own culture. But many transferred to other cultures.
This is The Society of American Period Furniture Makers. I consider myself a period cabinetmaker. I copy most things made in America paying attention to regional influences which are different. I have certain cultural influences I prefer over others . American period furniture construction is an unique art form to be consider upon its own standing. 

The sad thing is, today period furniture (truly a piece of art) is made by craftsmen with natural solid wood that is/was made to last. Modern furniture is made of the cheapest material possible that will bring the highest profit margin and be needed to be repurchased in two to three years. So today’s style influences are shoved down our throat to ensure the next sale no matter bad or ugly they are. Just open a home magazine, Martha, Oprah or whatever you chose and you will see all white walls and Cheap IKEA type furniture and it will be the latest fad that everyone must have. Sorry I got off the subject a little.   

Back