Connecticut Valley Furniture by E. Chapin

macchips4

At this years mid year conferance, Will Neptune discussed the construction of a Chapin piece of furniture. some members had talked about getting the out of print book that Will had on his table. Well, I had purchased the book on Amazon From "museumbooks2", it was listed as "used-very good".
      When recieved it was very, very nice. I don't think it was ever read. I've gotten new books still in plastic that had bent pages etc. This one was really clean and was truly in "as new" condition.
    I've been looking for a while for this  book and have seen a large range of prices (up to an unbeliveable 750.00). Museumbooks2, stated they had a few copies of this book and on amazon again for 135.00 So I thought I would post to let members know of it's availibity and condition.

Joe

I have used museum books, and can recommend them as well. Their prices are always good, and the quality is always better than they describe.

The Chapin is a great book. The Met seems to be the only publisher that ever prints enough copies, so that you can still buy a new book a few years after publishing, at or below list price. Every other publisher tends toward small print runs, and if you don't buy right away, you end up with outrageous prices from the secondary market.

Yes that is the book that Will Neptune had referred to when he gave his presentation at the mid-year last month.
    I see it's listed again for135.00 on amazom by Museumbooks2. In an email the seller had stated they have a few copies. The book i recieved from them was in excelent condition. After looking through the book, I'm glad I was able to get a copy.
Joe

Just found this thread and thought it would be good to point out that I placed an order for this book from museumbooks2 on 30-Aug through Amazon for the same price as mentioned above. From my conversations with the seller, it appears they still have copies available.
'I've heard great things about this book, should be a good read.

When I ordered my copy about a week ago, they still had four left. It arrived yesterday and although described as used, I have never recieved a new book in better condition, and with hundreds of photos, many in color, I consider it a bargain just to see the large variety of pieces.

There is much more to the book.  I would call it scholarly as it traces the genealogy of the dynasties of Connecticut Valley furniture makers, describes their businesses and even contains old maps. There are many pictures and diagrams that show construction details and builders markings.

The surprise to me was the wide variety of pieces; it seemed to me that not only are there more variations in this furniture than I am used to seeing in say Boston, Newport or Philadelphia pieces, but there are some quite unusual decorations and carvings.

I think it may inspire some builders to try something different.

Karl

I just recomended this book for someone to look at and  I thought afterwards.....135.00 ????  (Amazon, museumbooks2)
So I'll ask here...
Would this book be on your "should have" list?
I know I'm pleased with it, and I am glad to get such a nice copy but someone who's just started to build a library, begining to build "American period furniture"? How would this book rate against some others ?
I don't want to start a war but It would be interesting to Know other opinions.  
Joe

I really like the book.  I can't say if it is worth $135 to you.  I was lucky and bought it from a museum shop for a much more reasonable price.  Is there someone close to you that would loan you theirs to look at? O rperhaps you could find it at a library?  I was introduced to the book by Mr. Freddie Roman at a class at Phil Lowe's place.  I started searching for it when I returned home and found some copies at museum "up yonder" somewhere?  I told Phil about it and I think he replied that some of his students were already ordering it.  I figured his students needed a deal!  anyway, it's a good book to have.  if you are just starting though, you might lean towards instructional moreso thant inspirational, although both are important.  Mr. Greene's boook on 18th century furniture is both.  Norm Vandall's book is both as well.  Both are on  my favorite list. 

Tony

Joe,

I di not think it is possible to answer a broad question " is the book worth it ?" That answer is best addressed by considering ones resources and interests.

Let me try toanswer your question this way.

Assuming that $135 is a significant expenditure :

1. Those who really "need" this book are probably limited to persons with an interest in building reproductions of Connecticut  Valley pieces, or serious collectors.

2. Others who would probably enjoy this book, commensutrate with their means and personal tastes, are those who enjoy seeing good pictures of a wide variety of furniture from the area, and those who want to expand their knowledge of the details of American period furniture building.

Having said that, I am sure that it cost many times the price to create the book, and in that sense it is "worth it" - it is a tremendous amount of book for the money .

Karl

I borrowed it from the library when it first came out, and after spending a few hours with it, decided it was on my "must have" list. I got mine from Amazon, at a discount from the list price, but can't remember what that might have been. $75, maybe? I also remember that it came out at just about the same time as Hecksher's John Townsend book. That there is a good year for period furniture lovers.

The problem with most of these books are the small print runs. They are so expensive to produce that smaller publishers won't order larger runs, as they are afraid of sitting on a lot of stock, and money, for years. Generally, the Met prints much larger volume, probably because they can afford to. Both of the Heckscher books are from the Met, are much easier to find, and at much lower prices -- but are both also must-haves. But all of these other books in recent years skyrocket in price once the new copies are sold out. Mussey's great book, published by the Peabody Essex, is going for something like $800 now, if you can find one. Master Craftsmen of Newport is usually closer to $1,500. It's madness. But I would put Connecticut Valley Furniture in the same class as those books, and wouldn't be surprised to see it sell for hundreds more some day.

I'm not speculating on these books' prices by the way -- they are books I really love, and refer back to time and again. I just feel that, if you would like to have them in your library, you'll save a lot of money in the long run by buying them when they first come out.

By the way, the next book that I can predict will be on my gotta have it list will be out this December, I think. The Met will be having an exhibition on Duncan Phyfe, and will feature the first new scholarly work on Phyfe since the last Met exhibition some ninety years ago. I forget the title, but I think it will be through Yale University Press. It sounds like a good excuse for a trip down to New York. New York is nice in winter -- fewer boisterous Yankee fans.

Here is a link to pre-order the Phyfe book. Peter kenny has been working on this for quite awhile--can't wait to see it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Peter+Kenny+Duncan+Phyfe&x=12&y=10

....and here is the link to the Met writeup on the Phyfe exhibition - December 20, 2011?May 6, 2012

http://www.metmuseum.org/en/exhibitions/listings/2011/duncan-phyfe-master-cabinetmaker-in-new-york

....there are times when I'm glad to live in the metro area!  Rusty

Mark,

Thanks for the heads-up! I just placed my order with Amazon and received free shipping. Delivery dates are from Oct.  31 - Nov. 4.

This just in from Amazon:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on October 06 2011. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Peter Kenny, et al "Duncan Phyfe: Master Cabinetmaker in New York (Metropolitan Museum of Art)"
    Estimated arrival date: January 04 2012 - January 09 2012

This just in:

Hello,

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on October 06, 2011 (Order# 103-8558377). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Peter Kenny, et al "Duncan Phyfe: Master Cabinetmaker in New York (Metropolitan Museum of Art)"
    Previous estimated arrival date: December 27, 2011 - January 02, 2012
    New estimated arrival date: December 22, 2011 - December 24, 2011

Mark Arnold said:
Here is a link to pre-order the Phyfe book. Peter kenny has been working on this for quite awhile--can't wait to see it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Peter+Kenny+Duncan+Phyfe&x=12&y=10

This book has finally arrived today.

http://www.metmuseum.org/metmedia/video/exhibitions/curatorial-departments/aw/duncan-phyfe-bedpost-carving

Back