Child's Mahogany Desk?

FrederickH

I picked up this smallish desk at the local auction and was wondering what region of the country it came from. The feet look vaguely familiar and there was a Virginia lottery ticket in the back of the cubby holes. It's solid mahogany, from top to bottom, and inside out. The drawers are stamped with the number 73 and their position within the desk. There is also a number 73 chalked on the inside of the carcass bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_9512.JPG
    IMG_9512.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9513.JPG
    IMG_9513.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 62
There are examples of the feet of your cabinet in "The Regional Arts of the Early South" (MESDA), and "American Antique Furniture" (Joseph T. Butler), and in several other publications showing a few cabinets from Rowan County NC using this type of foot.  Chippendale?  It could be possible that this smallish desk was a "Sample", which may explain the # 73 and the numbering of the drawer position.  Nice looking, and seems vitually unused.  Great find!

I was just curious enough to do a search on "Bing" using the search term "Chippendale Secretary Salesman Sample", and this picture popped up in the stockpile of images.  It is a salesman sample that was once for sale on Ebay and now is showing up in EbayStatic, it gives no further info...but I bet if you look deep you can find out. 

Attachments

• mGXcf477qJNNGKvHEc6bkhQ.jpg
    mGXcf477qJNNGKvHEc6bkhQ.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 40
Mo Yarborough said:
I was just curious enough to do a search on "Bing" using the search term "Chippendale Secretary Salesman Sample", and this picture popped up in the stockpile of images.  It is a salesman sample that was once for sale on Ebay and now is showing up in EbayStatic, it gives no further info...but I bet if you look deep you can find out. 

Mo, thanks, that appears to be the exact desk.

FrederickH, My Dad, now approaching 90, has been in the furniture business since leaving the Navy in 1945.  I have worked with him, and visited the Southern Home Furnishings Market in High Point many times.  Salesman samples from different manufacturers were always present.  This is to say that your small desk may very well be valuable.  Some samples are priced well into the thousands, you just need to find out who the manufacturer is, and when it was produced.  Being all mahogany, elevates it's collectability.  Some books I have show similar standard desks produced both in Pennsylvania and Charleston, and NC was producing pieces as well.  The "Furniture Library" in High Point can help.  Just do a search for "Furniture Library High Point" and contact them.  I think your find is great!!

Update:  the web address for the Furniture Library is  http://www.furniturelibrary.com/

Back