Cherry desk has darkened beautifully except under lamp on top

Dan_B

I attached a picture of a desk I built in curly cherry.  As you can see I have desk lamp on the top of the desk and it has been there regularly.

Now for the part where I am an idiot.

Just moved the lamp and realized that the desk (cherry) has darkened beautifully, but not under the lamp. I have a perfect round of lighter color top on the desk.

Short of keeping the lamp there forever, what can be done?

Should I cover the rest of the top, except for the lighter area and let it darken slowly?

Can I use an artificial light to speed up the darkening of that spot? ( cover the rest of the top while doing so)?

I probably do not want to try to blend in the area, as I have no experience in that

Finish is shellac.

Thanks

dan

Attachments

• Philadelphia Desk 1790jpg.jpg
    Philadelphia Desk 1790jpg.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 36
Dan,

I have similar troubles when my Shaker oval boxes remain stacked for extended periods.
Some time out in bright sunshine usually blends things nicely in a few days. (I live in Florida)
In the future, try moving the lamp around a bit.

Troy

thanks,
I don't know how I missed the obvious, about moving the lamp. I had even commented to my wife how beautifully the desk as darkening and was completely oblivious to the lamp starring me in the face.
My first case piece of cherry, but I should have known better

dan

In my experience Cherry only darkens for so long and then begins to slowly lighten again. How long it darkens appears to be dependent upon exposure to UV radiation, which depends on its location. A few years ago I replaced the bread board ends on a Cherry table that was very dark since both ends were light it didn't look to bad. Over time the ends darkened and caught up with the top, but then the top began to lighten and now the ends are darker than the top.

millcrek said:
In my experience Cherry only darkens for so long and then begins to slowly lighten again. How long it darkens appears to be dependent upon exposure to UV radiation, which depends on its location. A few years ago I replaced the bread board ends on a Cherry table that was very dark since both ends were light it didn't look to bad. Over time the ends darkened and caught up with the top, but then the top began to lighten and now the ends are darker than the top.

hopefully things will even up quickly.
dan

It all depends on finish to know for sure how long cherry will darken. If oil was used as a top coat than the cherry for well over 50 years.

shellac was the finish and I believe it is darkening up. I put it in front of the window (east) and covered the rest of the top except the circle that needs darkening. Now that the leaves are off the trees it should get a bit more sun. Hoping by spring it won't be noticable
thanks to all who responded
dan

Back