Checks in lumber

rhram

I have access to some Nicaraguan rosewood.  It was cut about 30 to 35 years ago.  various sizes of between 8" to 12" wide 16/4 and 8 to 10 feet long.  Un fortunately this was sitting outside un protected for the past 26 to 30 years and has developed deep checks all over the surface.  Some of these checks are 1-1/12 inched deep on either side.  This leaves the possibility of re-sawing these and getting a board about 1 inch thick without checks.

My question is: will checks begin to develop in the cutout board?

thanks for any info

Raul

I doubt it. after 20+ years of air dying the wood should be dry. I would be more concerned about water getting into the checks and starting to rot the boards. I wouldn't pay to much for the wood. If they are asking prices for good wood they should give you a piece to cut up and evaluate.

But I have seen lots of wood that has sat out unprotected for a long time and the pile looks to be in rough shape, rotted on the surface, moss growing on it etc. but once getting a few boards into the stack the wood is usually in very good shape, protected by the outer pieces.  and you may lose 6 inches off the end of each board.

If you get a piece I'd like to see what it looks like as I'm not familiar with the wood.

Raul,
If the wood were a domestic hardwood like walnut or cherry or a tropical one, such as one of the mahoganies, I would say you probably will be ok.  But, in my experience, a lot of the checking problems with some tropical woods seem to be caused by stresses in the wood itself and resawing releases them.  I would say to try your idea on a piece or two and then let the wood rest and see what happens before spending a lot of time making it into something.  Also, since you are going to put a lot of time and effort into this wood don't pay a lot for it.  PSP

Back