Chapin Chair Class W/ Will Neptune

FREDDY ROMAN

Hello All,

I just wanted to inform all of you of an  amazing class being offered by Will Neptune @ Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking.  Any of you who may have had the luxury of seeing Will's  demonstrations in the mid year conferences will then learn how to put all these tricks to use.  Besides, learning a whole lot more tricks of the trade. This  is a once and life time chance to learn from the best.  It took a lot of convincing  to make Will do teach this course so lets go out a support the cause. 

Freddy Roman

P.S.  Attached is the write up of the course.
http://www.schoolofwoodworking.com/woodworking_school/woodworking_classes.shtml#Speciality_Weekend_Classes

Build a Connecticut River Valley Chapin Chair with Will Neptune

I am pleased to welcome Will Neptune back for this unique and challenging class.

Chippendale chairs are a great project for woodworkers.  They combine complex joinery, sculptural shaping and carved details to produce a dramatic effect.  In a typical 18th century approach, the methods used to build these chairs are systematic and can be applied to other designs.

The chair we will build in class is based on the “Country High Style” designs from the Chapin family of the Connecticut River Valley.  These chairs keep the key features of Philadelphia style chairs, but use carving in a restrained way for visual emphasis.  Ball and claw feet on cabriole legs, a pierced splat and a crest rail with scrolls and a shell are the carved elements you will learn to make.  Just as important is the use of patterns and a shaping system to give a delicate and flowing appearance.  The angled cant of the rear legs, the curved splat and the trapezoidal shape of the seat all combine to give interesting angled joinery challenges.

This class will meet four weekends (one a month) plus a single Saturday “review and catch-up” day” in July. Each weekend will be a combination of joinery, as we frame the chair, and carving demonstration and carving practice.

By starting the carving early on in the class you will have plenty of time for at-home practice and in-class review before working on the real parts.  All joinery will be completed in class, but some assembly at home will be required.  We will make the frame for the slip seat in class but the upholstery will be done on your own. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn from one of this country’s leading carvers and instructors. Space is limited so sign up soon.

Tuition: $995.00 plus materials

Section 022809A:                Saturday & Sunday, February 28 & March 1, March 28 & 29, April 25 & 26, May 30 & 31 & Saturday, July 18                9:30am—5:00pm

Freddy,

I just signed up for the class.  Really looking forward to learning from Will as well as building this chair.  I think this will be a great way for me to apply what I learn on this chair to other chairs that I have always wanted to build (Philadelphia Arm Chair that Lonnie Bird offers...).  Thanks for the heads up on the class.  I am not sure I would have seen the class without your post.

Brian

Brian,

I am so excited for this class.  I will be assisting Will in this workshop and I must say it is worth every penny.  What Will has to offer just can't be put in words.  Will open your eyes to so many issues and what to be aware of and things  that you will never have thought of.  What is also great about this class is that you will be able to apply everything you learn to every chair in every period and every region.  Great choice and look forward to seeing you.

Freddy

Back