Capen family Bombe desk up for auction

If any of you get a hankering to reproduce this desk, let me know.  I got to look it over a few times as Ruth Nutt was one of my clients.  I miss her.  PSP

i will be making this desk . i cant find clear pics of the knee carving , any ideas of where to look ? my best lead so far is going to boston mfa , i guess there's a piece there with similar carving .
thanks for any input

CAPEN FAMILY CHIPPENDALE CARVED AND FIGURED MAHOGANY BOMBÉ SLANT-FRONT DESK, BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, CIRCA 1785

Attachments

• dfc8c8924eff185b232e2d33701ba59a.jpg
    dfc8c8924eff185b232e2d33701ba59a.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46
thanks !! that's awesome . do you happen to have a pic of the center drop carving too ? are these your personal photos or is there somewhere I can go to see more than the 3 or 4 pics that i can find on the Sotheby's page ?

That picture was from the Sothebys site(link above). You can enlarge and zoom most of the pictures on that site.

oh ,  duh . I had only seen the 4 that come up , didn't realize you could scroll to see a 5th . maybe it's my phone

thanks

i'm having a hard time believing that this desk is 49 1/2" wide . it doesn't look it and it doesn't scale it . you can see this if you do the math of the proportions at the base molding on the photo of the underside . if it is 22" deep then it isn't 49 1/2 wide  . i think it's 3-4" narrower     , am i missing something ?  do we know where this piece is now ?

perspective distortion ( photography ) i guess this effect will disproportionally affect a photo . if i understand it correctly ,, something further from the camera lens appears smaller so when taking a picture of a flat rectangle the long dimension will appear shorter more than the short dimension will .
 anyone have input on this ? i'm going to experiment and take a pic of a rectangle , see what it does

yes , my photo was affected almost exactly the same as how the photo of the bottom of the desk was . now i don't doubt the given dimensions

Back