Brush storage

John Cashman

I'm looking for a container that will allow me to keep my shellac brush suspended in alcohol, without resting on its bristles, and without allowing the alcohol to evaporate. Does anyone know of a source for something like this? I've seen a couple of these, but they have enough open areas that the contents will still evaporate.

Thanks.

John,

I store my brush with the shellac in the shellac pot, http://www.freemansupply.com/AluminumPaintPots.htm.  I find no reason to remove it but then I use it all the time.  You can also just hang it up to dry.  The bristles will harden but that's okay.  Just place the brush in the shellac overnight and it will be soften and ready to go the next morning.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs

I don't know if you have them in North America, but I use a re-sealable gourmet peanut tin. The tin has a ring-pull top and a clear plastic lid for sealing the tin (they assume the peanuts aren't going to be eaten all at once!).

I use a wad punch to make a brush-sized hole in the lid through which I pass the brush. I poke a short piece of bamboo BBQ skewer through a hole in the brush and it remains suspended in the meths by the lid. The lid also ensures the meths doesn't evaporate.

Back