Basswood as secondary wood

HSteier

Does anyone know if basswood has been used as a secondary wood for drawer sides, bottoms etc? It is straight grained, planes easily and seems to be as dense as poplar.

Howard Steier

Hi Howard,

I would avoid using basswood as secondary wood unless you're building small items that don't require a lot of strength. Poplar or pine would be a better choice for strength and cost. I've never seen basswood used for drawers except in small boxes, etc.

Mickey

In the 1940's Singer Sewing Machine Company used Basswood for the boxes that the portable machines were protected in.  Also, many mass production furniture companies used Basswood in the Drawers. The problem was, neither sealed the wood, and the result was musty, mildew smelling, products.  I have burned more Basswood from the 1940's than I have saved!  Once, I purchased a piece of Basswood from a Habitat for Humanity store that measured 16/4 x 4' for carving...but could not stand to work with it, due to the bad mildew odor.  I understand, however, if it is Kiln Dried, that it loses this property.

Back