Are curved sole spokeshaves useful?

TheWoodWiz

Hi,

I get a lot of use out of my regular flat bottom shave. I'm considering buying a round bottom shave (not the concave bottom shaves for chairmakers), and am wondering if it is worth it. Any comments/guidance would be appreciated.

Thx!

JB

I have found the curved sole spokeshaves very usefull on Queen Anne legs.  In fact Iam not sure what I would use if I did not have several curved spokeshaves!!  I also use the flat ones.

Jim Vojcek

Judging by the length of blade left in my convex soled spokeshave, I use it more than the flat soled one. It is by far my favourite shave for all sorts of purposes.

JB- he spokeshave you mentioned is useful for hollowing out areas to be carved into concave shells, like the front of a Philly lowboy draw. Also very good for bombe chests inside and out. The curve of the bottom varies on these shaves. I've ended up with 2 over the years, one with a very steep curve that's good for the shell areas, and a very shallow one that we've used a lot for bombe parts. They're also way better for hollowing out chair seats than a scorp, in my opinion.
So if you've found one and are wondering whether to buy it or not, I'd get it for sure-Al
If I've misunderstood you, and you're talking about one with a hollow base.......never mind.

If by "round" you mean one that will crate a hollow form, I've rarely seen a steel one that works well. I have 2 wooden ones that are great, but not available new.
The cylindrical ones I don't think work well, judging by how unused all the old ones I've sen look......-Al

You can easily make a rounded bottom spoke shave. Remove the iron/blade and with a metal file shape the bottom and brass plate. Finish up with emery cloth so the brass plate has a polished surface.

I've done this to both wood and metal spoke shaves.

Dennis Bork

Back