Anyone Know about "Samuel McIntire: Carving an American Style"

jprconsulting

Has anyone read or seen the book "Samuel McIntire: Carving an American Style"

It looks good, but on the pricey side.

Thanks,

Ken Johnson

I have a copy. Plenty of close-up photos of carving to work from. If you were going to do a McIntire piece it would be quite valuable to you. Just for your library, at the current pricing, not so much.
Am surprised that the value rose that quickly.

My wife also has a copy. She fell in love with his carving we saw at MFA, Boston.  I could bring a copy to Williamsburg for you to peruse.

Dale

Ken,

I have a copy and have read it cover to cover.  Like the book on Nathaniel Gould, it is from the Peabody Ess,ex Museum, and, no, it is not cheap.  I would take Dale up on his offer to let you peruse a copy.  Then you can decide if spending the money is worthwhile.

In the same vein, I would like to offer some thoughts on books and woodworking.  Good books have always been expensive and woodworkers have always had a hard time ponying up the money for them.  Copies of Thomas Chippendale's Director were owned by a number of lending libraries in early America and John Townsend owned a copy.  Would it be possible for SAPFM to create such a library for members?

There is the saying, "if you think education is expensive, try ignorance."  I speak from many personal experiences when I say that I have gotten a new book, read it, and exclaimed, "Why didn't you say so, sooner?"  This has played a part, along with a simple love of books, in my purchase of almost every book I can find that is useful in the study of American period furniture.  Another factor which you touched on is that some books can rise dramatically in price after they are published and go out of print.  Very few period furniture books are reprinted.  Thus, depending on demand, an extremely expensive purchase can wind up a bargain.  When Michael Moses' book, Master Craftsmen of Newport, came out it cost $100.00, and I really had to scrape to get the money.  Try getting a copy for that, now.  But, some are duds, and sit gathering dust on a bookshelf, not in the workshop.  PSP

Thanks to all who replied.  Good comments and suggestions.  I went ahead and ordered the book.  I know, I am a period furniture book junkie.  I belong to PFBJ anonymous.  We meet at a used book store every week.

Ken

I was unaware of this book until reading this thread.  I just ordered a copy.

Uh....Ken, where is the meeting location for the PFBJ anonymous group again?

Bruce Leonard

This is hands down a great book. Great photos, they enlarge great and you reference your carving tools to the photos.  Sadly all these books have limited runs, and because of this I buy at least two copies, for I am certain to reference one at the shop on the regular basis and the other on the shelf at home for clean research.

FR

Back