Any good techniques for installing Brusso Bullet Catches?

MarkHochstein

I'm finishing construction of a low cherry entertainment center and I'm using Brusso bullet catches to secure the doors. It's my first time using them. Any tips on installing them? I've played with some scrap in an attempt to refine my technique since it's a "one shot" deal installing them. My main issue right now is drilling the round mortise in the face frame and doors the perfect depth for the catch. I've got stop collars, but none are the right size for the 11/32" bit required for these catches. I've also been unable to locate an 11/32" forstner bit so I'm having to use my brad point bits and they tend to "grab" every so often. I suppose I could rig up some type of jig to secure the doors on the drill press table, but they're 24" tall.
Any wisdom here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Clamp the door in your bench vise and attached/clamp your jig to the door.  Then you can drill an accurate hole.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

Thanks for the reply Dennis. The problem for me isn't securing the piece, it's stopping the drill bit from going too deep consistently. I can't find a collar to fit it, nor a forstner bit the right size.  I think I'll end up at the drill press. We'll see...

May sound silly, but how bout some tape on the drill bit to act as a depth gauge.  I used these on some kitchen cabinets a while back and don't remember what I did.  I will say the balls have enough travel that as long as your exposure isn't too big, you'll probably be okay.  Good luck,
Rob

Mark,

Drill a 11/32" hole into the end of a large, say 3/4", dowel or square piece of wood.  Now with the drill bit in your hole shooter slide this dowel into the bit.  You can either extend the bit until just the right amount extends past the dowel or cut the dowel to the right length.  In other words the dowel will act as a solid stop just like your collars.

Dennis Bork

If you make your wooden stop out of a larger piece of rectangular stock and drill it on your drill press so the hole is 90 degrees to the block  you can clamp the block to your rails to insure the hole is square to your work.

Thanks guys!

Rob: I tried the tape, but it's very difficult to tell when it's exactly flush with the workpiece and most of the time the bit would "grab" at some point and plunge in past that point and smash the tape. It just wasn't a reliable option for me.

Millcreek: I had done exactly what you described. I created a block with an 11/32" hole in it at the drill press then I fasten two other pieces to it 3/4" apart to hold it square to the workpiece.

Dennis: Excellent! That's exactly what I was looking for. I was almost there but having a brain fart trying to figure out a stop. Thanks. I think I'll mill it so that it's reversible since each half of the catch is a different length and I'll mark a bit depth setting on the side.

Thanks all! I knew you guys would help spark my inspiration.

Back