American Case Furniture in the Mabel Brady Garvan Collection

rchampagne

Anyone have a copy of this book, by Ward?  It looks like a useful resource.  Just wondering if it is worthwhile before I pull the trigger on a book for $150.00.  In particular I am interested in photos of Chippendale pieces.  Any Newport pieces?  I stopped by the gallery yesterday but didn't have an appointment to see the pieces not on display.  Sadly there were only about four pieces of furniture on display. 
Thanks,
Rob

The book is available for $68.25.  Go to www.bestbookdeal.com

Norman

Norman,
Thanks for the tip.  I was looking at prices and they seemed to range from $260-$150.00.  I checked the local libraries and have it on order, so luckily it looks like I'll be able to check the book out before I buy. 
Rob

I got this book from interlibrary loan, and even though the specific piece I was looking for isn't in the collection, I am glad to have it.  The book is very thorough, and I think gives dimensions such as upper case width and depth, etc, not just overall dimensions.  There is a nice variety of pieces, probably with an emphasis on highboys.  There is a full description of each piece, along with a discussion of provenance and condition, and there are detail photos for some pieces.  Definitely a worthwhile resource in my opinion. 

By the way, does anyone have a copy of the Moses book handy?  I am looking at a photo of a Goddard lowboy with carved knees and am wondering if it is in a museum somewhere.

Rob,
By Moses book are you referring to one of the first five books of the Bible, all five of them, or Master Craftsmen of Newport. Let me know what you are looking for and I will see if I can help.
Mike

There's a Goddard lowboy with carved knees on page 233 fig. 5.22 of Master Craftsmen of Newport.  From the Diplomatic Reception Rooms, U.S. Department of State.

Jeff

P.S:  I have an extra copy for sale signed by Israel Sack (I think it's his signature- it's more like a doctor's signature!)

Mike and Jeff,
Thanks for the replies.  Mike, I was not aware of any mention of Newport furniture in the Old Testament.  Jeff, I am guessing you have it right.  Are there any other photos of that piece in the book?  Here is a photo of the piece I am referring to:
Thanks,
Rob

The piece does appear to be in the diplomatic reception rooms. I forgot there are no pictures in the other Moses' books either!

Rob,

There is a color photo of this dressing table in the book "Treasures of State" on page 131.  It also list the overall dimensions as 31 7/8  x  34 1/4  x  21 3/4.  "Treasures of State" - Fine and Decorative Arts in the Diplomatic Reception Rooms of the U.S. Department of State.  ISBN 0-8109-3911-8
copyright 1991.  The piece is attributed to John Goddard.

Norman

Rob,

The lowboy in Master Craftsmen isn't the same piece.  The leg carvings look identical, but the apron, fan carving, and hardware are different.  On page 234 are details of the fan and back of the piece.

Back