"ageing" new brass

Hjanes

A proper new brass piece (pull) has been added to a desk made about in 1840.  Sure looks out of place with this preserved, not restored piece having the rest of its original brass.  Is there a controllable method to age the shiny piece to better match the originals?

I used to fume i ammonia also but it is a pain in the neck and turns it green.  This stuff works great and is cheap on ebay. The longer you leave it in the darker it gets.  Its quick and easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brass-DARKENING-SOLUTION-Metal-Ager-8-oz-/310374472837?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item4843c29c85

You can also go to the local hardware store and ask for copper sulfate (blue crystals) and make up a 5% solution (wt/vol) to soak the brass in. Usually 15-20 minutes in this will darken brass nicely (be sure to rinse thoroughly). Urine will also darken brass!!! ;(

I would think you might also want to rinse thoroughly after the urine also. Plus how would you explain this method to your client. "Please excuse me while I work on your brasses OH and by the way where is your bathroom. I have found that the best light to work under is a bathroom light" Please wash hands thoroughly before returning to work!

Thanks, folks.  Quite a range of solutions.  Think I'll try the bluing first since I have used it on firearms.  Then, maybe a trip to the head.

Years ago when I was in the army, an old drill Sargent said, you should pee on your feet, it will cure athletes and trench foot. Apparently trench foot was a big problem in the first world war. Who knows if it will tarnish brass it might cure foot ailments to. I never tried it.

Back