6/4 Secondary

6/4  at $1.65 bf sawed in half for drawer sides and backs and bottoms where you can use all or 4/4 at $1.50 bf with half going to waste. With some resaw you can get 5/8" for full dust divider if needed. Dahh
Freddy, Nails your sides together and cut both sides at once. Tails first.  ?

I Also re-saw my sides. I've seen pieces with tapered sides, And wondered if they were re-sawn from narrow stock (4/4?) and done this way to save on material costs while allowing the bottom to remain thicker for the drawer bottom and wear.

And always tails first so I can gang saw the tails.

Jeff,

Are we having a discussion on tails or pins first?  ;D

I was taught pins first but I prefer tails first of course.  I nail the sides together, joint one edge, rip parallel, cut ends square and to length.  I also like to groove both sides nailed together. Than of course layout and cut the tails. This is by far the most efficient way I think.  What do you think Jeff?  I believe you and I like to get things done but still stay to true to craftsmanship of hand made.

FR

No! We are not having a discussion if tails or pins first. There are always situations where one layout and execution works better than another. I am discussing material conservation and layout. 6/4 secondary sawn in half, cross grain, saves money!
But!

Attachments

• Double up drawer sides cut once.JPG
    Double up drawer sides cut once.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 31
A helpful layout tool. I am still playing with blocks. right side example with a left side drawer side

Attachments

• dovetail alignment tool.JPG
    dovetail alignment tool.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 33
Back