2009 Virginia Chapter Meeting Ideas

Jeff L Headley

As an incentive to join the Virginia Chapter of  The Society of American Period Furniture Makers and because we haven't had a posting since October.  I (without talking to anyone else first) would like to ask what would be any one's idea of a great Virginia piece of furniture to be discussed at our next meeting. Say maybe President's Jefferson's desk either lap or slant top or maybe Martha Washington's bed for her guest bedroom or Jubel Early's actual grandfathers clock or ? Having said that I am sure it has already been discussed and decided upon. Wishing all the grandest of furniture asperations. Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I consider myself a proxy member of the Virginia chapter although I don't live in VA or in a state that borders it. The first chapter meeting was a great intro to the regional characteristics of VA Chippendale chairs. Since my interest lies in the Federal period, I would like to see a shieldback discussed at length, specifically the Norfolk chair on the dust jacket of Southern Furniture 1680-1830. That chair is on my top twenty list of pieces I need to make before I die (sans the black rosin inlay).

Jeff,

I like the idea of Mr. Jefferson's "laptop".  It's a piece that has interested me for a long time and something that's on the list to build. Also, as we have not - at least I think we have not - decided where the next meeting will be a small portable piece like that would require minimal effort to move in case the demonstrator (you?) has to drive some distance to the meeting.

Just my $.02.

Rick Yochim   

Back